Click here if you are having website access problems ×

alternative supply for AP vented front disks ?

Jason Plato

I recall a thread a while back where Mark 355 was searching for an alternate supply and Roger Swift was investigating the other day. I also heard that Performance braking in Monmouth had an alternative of an ally bell with a cast iron disk to suit our offset.

Has anyone found an alternative supply at more reasonable cost or tried the Performace braking option ?

Dave

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

The one I measured (which was used ) is:

254 dia

17.7mm thick

29.9 Front face of disk to bolt up face on rear

Given the above I guess that 10mm offset disc face to bell outer face compares to 12.2 on the Caterham ?

Anyone for 2.2mm spacers between caliper and upright ?

Edited by - ECR on 4 Feb 2009 16:26:48

Considering changing mine so would really like to know the feasibilty of this. Just had a look on mine - 2002 - and I've certainly not got any spacers between the caliper and upright so can't see any issues about using a 2mm? spacer if necessary to make these fit.

I've looked at the caliper/disk set up this morning. The disk actualy faces inwards, that is, the bolt up face is to the outside of the car. Assuming the 10mm Westfield dimension to be accurate (caution, see Mav's earlier post) that means there will be 2.2mm MORE gap between the TRE and the disk. If you are happy to have the disk 2.2mm out of centre relative to the caliper then the job's a good un. A 2.2mm spacer between the disk and hub would bring things back on centre ? Alternatively I would look at milling 2.2mm off the caliper bolt up lugs, there's PLENTY of meat there by the look of it. If I ever wanted to return to standard I could then use 2 0ff 2.2mm spacers between the caliper and the upright.

I can't think of any other clearance issues (wheel rims ? ....). It looks worth trying for £37.00 each

Edited by - ECR on 5 Feb 2009 12:04:13

Edited by - ECR on 5 Feb 2009 12:09:01

Edited by - ECR on 5 Feb 2009 12:10:26

If there's any entrepreneurs out there *wink* - why not take the pattern over to Brake Engineering at Wrexham and get a price for a thousand or so *confused*. Flog 'em at £40 each, make a load of money for yourself (which you can then spend at Demon Tweeks since they're only half a mile away), and make a lot of Caterham owners happy *smile* *thumbup*

Paul

• 2 weeks later...