Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

swapping 5 speed box for 6 speed box

jsb

Yes, engine out definitely. I'd recommend removing them together too.

Make sure you put an old aerosol cap over the PTO end of the gearbox as soon as you can, after removing the propshaft. If you don't, you'll get lots of lovely thick gearbox oil seeping through into your footwells.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Did mine by removing the engine mounts / exhaust and fixed mounts and then hoisted the engine up 3 - 4 inches and angled the G Box down. This allowed me to leave oil / fuel / water and loom connected. Removed the G/Box from underneath - changed clutch and flywheel CRB and new box from underneath. Then lowered the engine back onto its mounts and re-connected the exhaust.

Benefit I had was pit to get full access under the car....guess it took a lazy half day.

Edited by - Geoff Wilcx on 4 Feb 2009 22:43:51

Thanks Geoff,

That is a great help, I'm on the list for the lift bulk but don't know if it will come off in time ☹️ if not I have a mate with a garage business I could ask if I can use his pit or lift.

John

J5B SV

Certainly have but sorry its attached the end of my crank *cool* *cool*- should be few around if you post in the wanted section....certainly made the engine more responsive....also what diff are you running? I originally stayed with the 3.9 which made for frantic gear changing....now installed a 3.6 lsd which calmed things down again - something else for you to think about.

www.geoffwilcoxphotography.co.uk