Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Service limits for standard discs

Roger Ford

Had one of my rear discs off today and noticed that it has a pronounced ridge round the outside. Measuring it up shows the ridge is near enough 10mm across, and the main disk is about 8.7mm. So it's worn by a little over 1mm.

Should I replace it (and the other rear)? I'm inclined to, because they're cheap - £22 each. But on the other hand the surfaces are smooth and clean apart from the ridge, and it is £44 that might be spent on something else.

Standard Triumph Herald discs with Sierra calipers, Pagid RS14 pads, use almost exclusively track/racing.

If you can unearth it under the inevitable corrosion around the outside !

edit: wouldn't be too concerned about 1mm of wear. Problem arises if new pads (when replaced) are slightly larger - then you have to grind the lip off, or change the discs.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 3 Feb 2009 08:26:31

£14.38 including VAT by the look of it. But their web site doesn't tell you how much shipping will be. Quite a lot, I imagine, whereas CC are still doing free delivery. Have emailed for a quote.

I might worry that the discs aren't identical to the Caterham ones and therefore not race legal, but given that I've had three different types from Caterham in the past, I don't think this is really an issue.

No - CC seems to be free on anything ordered from the web site.

Update: Dammit, the free shipping has gone. It was there last night! Now it's £14 for two discs *cry*

Rimmer Brothers said postage was £48.00 *eek* *eek*

When queried, they said the only Roger Ford they had on their database was in the US, and that UK postage would be £9.95+VAT.

So that makes RB £25+£9.95+VAT = £40.19, and CC (was) 44.86 (now) £58.86

Interesting. I too wonder about the "high quality" version!

I occurs to me that while I have the driveshaft off (which I have) I ought to replace the wheel bearings. Caterhams part cost £21 here - is that for one side or both? Anyone know the code for this so I can try my local bearing factor?

Really? I read in various places that it was a real swine of a job. Anyway, bearing carrier and driveshaft dropped off with James Whiting today, and CC discs ordered through him (CC price, no postage).

Issue I have now is that since I have to take the other hub off to swap the other disk, I really may as well get the bearings done on that side too. Which means an extra trip to JW. I really should plan these things better!

Rear bearings can easily be removed with a drift and hammer rather than resorting to a press. The new bearings can be similarily be drifted in, initially use the outer rim of the old bearing, then finish with a soft brass drift. The grease seals can carefully be tapped in. Be careful not to tap the seals in too far.

I made the mistake of replacing 50k mile original bearings for no good reason other than the mileage, only to be supplied with faulty bearings (apparently a faulty batch)that failed within 8 k miles that destroyed the bearing carrier and damaged the driveshaft......if they are working ok and no evidence of wear I'd leave them alone.

Edited to add... Roger the bearing failure was catastrophic, and I was luck not to have ended up in the hedge *eek*

Malcolm

Edited by - Englishmaninwales on 3 Feb 2009 23:51:44