Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Expansion tank suitable for a crossflow

Big Brother

Bit of a long shot but does anybody have an expansion tank (pressure cap type) suitable for fitting to a crossflow laying around?

I think the tank required may possibly be from a Rover.

I want to convert to a sealed (pressurised) system.

As far as I can work out, all I need is a few bits of pipe (got them!), a new thermostat housing and a plastic expansion bottle with a pressure cap fitted.

If anyone has carried out this conversion, can they supply me with part numbers and possibly details of exactly what they have done.

advTHANKSance

Steve

"The original X-Power"

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=green>

Hi Steve,

I have just done this. The expansion tank is off an early Rover 200 type. I was advised a 1.4 but I am sure it did not make a huge difference. Cost was c. 30 GBP. I am sure you can get one from a breakers, but a word of caution - the caps seem to fail from the Blatchat comms I have seen so at the very least by a new cap.

The tank will have two long plastic mounting points which can be cut to length to allow a neat fit onto the bulk head. If you would like a photo let me know.

I mounted mine on the bulkhead, being higher than the engine to help avoid air locks.

The works involved ;-

1. New thermostat housing - available from Ford

2. Running small dia. pipe from housing to exp. tank

3. Connecting larger dia pipe to the system - depends if you run a heater, if you do not there is a pick up point on manifold. As I was running a heater ( but not anymore - always need a project on the car !) I took the pick-up from a T section in the bottom hose

Having bleed the system, it works very well and kept a steady 80 degrees all the way to Le Mans and back ( except for the major traffic jams on Monday when it went up to 90 ! )

Best regards

Thanks Anthony / John.

Looks like a trip to the breakers is in order.

I guess most expansion tanks must be pretty similar, but saying that, there must be hundreds of Rover 200 laying around rusting.

Anthony, do you know which car the thermostat housing was originaly fitted too?

Steve

"The original X-Power"

Hi, the thermostat is a Ford Part. I went into to parts store and they went through catalogue and found-one. Apologies not sure which model it is off

I will see if it has a parts number

Would a photo help ?

Best regards

Thanks all

Sorry I took a while getting back but have been busy in the garage wink.gif

Thermostat cover is indeed from a Mk2 Fiesta

I got mine from a blue one!

The expansion bottle is from a Rover 200 series. I looked at 214's and 216's and the bottle was the same.

Both parts have now been fitted. The conversion was pretty easy.

Only hard part was getting the air out of the system.

I only managed to get about a pint of coolant in before the bottle was full up.

Problem was cured by jacking the rear of the car up. I got it about a foot high and heard a satisfying gurgling sound as the bottle emptied.

Temperature is as before - 80 when moving 90-95 in traffic.

Best bit is when cooled down, the level in the bottle stays on the "fill to" line.

Result!

Steve

"The original X-Power"