Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Race Technology Dash2

Roger Ford

Details here

This is a full self-contained Dash with all the instruments you should need for a road or track car, including programmable shift lights.

(Note: this is just the dash, not the datalogger (DL1) which can be connected to it).

Barely used - I bought it from a fellow racer together with a DL1, but I think I'm probably just going to use the DL1.

Retails at £500 + VAT + Postage = £585.

Selling for £300. Any questions, Blatmail me.

Not sure if it counts as a loom, but there are mating connectors each of which has a large number of trailing wires. TBH it was contemplating the shear number of wires that made me think I ought to just stick with the datalogger.

I've been warned there may be "compatibility problems" if a combination pack of DL1 and Dash 2 is split. Not sure what this means, or whether it's just a frightener to put people off from "sharing" a purchase. Have asked Race Technology support what it means, guess I won't get an answer before Monday.

OK, will do.

One of my options was to buy a Dash3 (the smaller, limited version with just shift lights and lap timing functions). If that's not going to work with my DL1, then I may need to reconsider selling the Dash2.

Sorry to mess you about folks, will try to find out ASAP.

Edited by - Roger Ford on 1 Feb 2009 10:39:01

Mick if you have a look on the Race Technology site there's a list of the ECU's they have tested, looking at the list the DTA 8 Pro is on there. It looks like you'll need the ECU Interface which is a seperate part from Race Technology and then you get RPM, Water Temp, Air Temp, Throttle, Manifold Pressure, Lambda and Battery Voltage directly from the ECU.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Yes Willie it does, although I've run mine very briefly without the DL1 it will work as an entirely independant unit. There's lots of information on the Race Technology site in the support section about the different configurations it can be used in.

However if you use it on it's own there's no GPS information and I don't think it does data logging either.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Rob,

Thanks for your answer. I think Roger and me are both trying to find out the same thing. Could you remove the DL1 from your installation (Which was a package deal) and the Dash2 would still work perfectly? Or if the DL1 is removed, will the Dash2 cease to work?

I think from a brief look at the Race Technology site, it's the other way round. The Dash2 from a package deal will work on its own, but it will only speak to the DL1 it was supplied with.

Willie

Willie,

It's not that simple :-) Essentially it would depend how your dash and logger were wired to start with. For example, if we take one parameter, engine speed (revs). If you wired your DL1 to take this from the ECU via CAN bus and then in turn send it to the Dash2, removing the DL1 will stop the Dash 2 displaying revs. However, you could take revs directly from the ECU output and thus there would be no difference.

So, in principle, a DL1 can log data from any ECU via CAN bus or the other input sources without a dash to display them on. And a Dash 2 can display (without the DL1) from it's own sources. The only issue therefore about removing one or t'other from the package is how they were installed - if the Dash2 was installed with its own unique sources, removing the DL1 would have no effect on the DL1's ability to log data, and removing the DL1 would have no effect on the Dash 2's displays.

Vinnie

Folks - I've spoken to the very helpful folks at Race Technology. Here's the full SP:

When sold as a pair, the DL1 and Dash2 are usually (but not always) locked together. In fact the Dash is locked to the DL1, so it won't accept inputs from any loggers other than the DL1 with the correct serial number. The DL1 itself is not locked - it will talk to any unlocked Dash. They've told me how to check if it's locked, and implied that in some circumstances (like if I bought a Dash3) I might be able to get them to unlock it for me.

So if I sold the Dash now, it would work standalone but (probably) couldn't be connected to a DL1 at a later date.

Meanwhile, I'm having second thoughts about selling the thing in any case. I was put off by the seeming complexity of the device and the connections needed, but having researched it (and cleaned up my existing wiring), I don't think it's going to be that bad after all).

Hence, with great apologies to those who have responded with interest, I'm going to withdraw this from sale while I properly consider my options. If I do decide to sell it I will contact people in order of expressions of interest.

Again, many apologies for messing people around.

Hmm interesting information Roger, I did not know that RT locked the DASH2 to a particularly DL1. That seems a very odd thing to do, they are usually very helpful so I'm sure they would unlock it if requested.

I guess they are trying to protect the bundles buy ensuring people don't buy the bundle and then sell the parts seperatly. I'd be interested in knowing how to confirm whether they are locked or not as I'd like to find out if mine is. If you've got 5 minutes and could drop me a Blatmail that would be great.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Instructions were:

Turn on the display unit while holding in the "down" button. This should then show a page with the firmware version at the bottom. If the unit is locked, there will be a 4-digit code just above and to the right of the firmware version.

I've not tried this since mine's not wired up.