Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Best oil for Hillclimbs?

skydragon

Oil... that confusing topic *wink*

What is the best engine oil choice for a 1.6K series being used for Hillclimbs and fast road usage ? ('best' as in gives best protection, rather than power)

10w40 semi-synth (as used by many supergrad racers)

5w50 synth (as recommended by Caterham for track usage.

I reckon a 5w50. With the best will in the world, it's hard to get the oil up to proper temperature on a cold April day at Harewood (it's not hard to warm the water up, but the oil's a different matter) so you want a low starting viscosity. But on the other hand, if you're ragging it on trackdays (I assume you'll be doing some of them - if only to learn the sprint courses) then a 50 grade will give greater protection. Comma 5w50 "Motorsport" can be picked up for around 22-23 quid for 5 litres if you ask nicely at your local motor factors.

5w50 it is then. Thanks for the advice. *thumbup*

do you have a cat exhaust on your car?
Yes, I do and you are 100% right that they are now required for all MSA events including Hillclimbs.

When I bought the car it came with both a non-cat MM exhaust and a std Caterham Roadsport type exhaust with cat. The MM exhaust is now sitting in the back of the garage...

Hopefully, later in the year I can save up for a nice new 4-2-1 exhaust system with cat, along with a trip to DVA to fettle the engine *wink*

Oil type, as the others say, I changed mine (the halfords motorsports stuff)halfway through the season and it was still almost clear (apart from the bits of grass 😬)

I would think making sure the engine has oil in the right place is the main issue on sprints, hillclimbs or tracks, ie the apollo/dry sump discussion.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

Don't do that - you won't be able to come and join us in Supergrads next year

Believe me, I'd be more than delighted Roger if I could spend the next few years doing the Supergrad series. But my job demands a lot of travel abroad and with 2 kids as well, sadly I just can't afford the free time to travel round to the various race venues. More importantly, I never can guarantee whether I am available to attend until fairly close to the date.

Doing 4 - 5 events at Harewood which is only 30 miles away for me and the odd trackday will have to do for me for now.

I've just booked myself into the Harewood Hillclimb school in April, so my education starts there. *wink*

Mayby in a few years time, when I've won the lottery and can have a less demanding job, I'll be able to have a tuned Hillclimb car AND a Supergrad/Megagrad car for racing. 😬 😬

Edited by - skydragon on 31 Jan 2009 13:21:20