Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil My trunnions

puremalt

standard grease is ok the main thing to check is the seal on the top of the trunion

go hard with age and split this lets water and dirt this is what causes the wear

pump it in till it comes out and the dirt will come out to.

fredid=blue> eek.gif

NEVER grease the trunnionsid=red> . The grease nipple is there to let you fill them with EP90 (yes, gearbox oil). It's a messy job. Check the archives, 'cos this has been done to death, and quite recently too...............

Found it. Read this

Also read the last posting on this thread

Edited by - Blatman on 27 Jun 2002 22:50:56

Lifted from the following thread

http://www.blatchat.com/Topic.asp?topic_id=7618&forum_id=8&Topic_Title=Trunions%2C+grease+and+oil%21&forum_title=TechTalk

Steve Foster said....

"I had two trunnioned 7's.

The problem is indeed of compacting and / or grease being too think to spread over the threads resulting in premature wear. You will notice this as a clunk with the car jacked, wheel off the ground and a suitable longish plank to lever the wheel up and down before the thing fails. This or similar procedure should be part of an MOT test at any rate.

My first 7 )bought 2nd hand) had only had grease in it's 8000 mile life. I disassembled cleaned and could see that grease had not reached all the threads! No signs of wear.

I would not advise simply trying to squirt oil in after grease. It will not force it's way past the grease.

Oiling with EP90 is messy. James W does a little squirter for this but I have not used this so cannot comment. Even the highest quality grease gun with EP90 in it leaks a bit... Plenty of rags etc at the ready."

Steve

"The original X-Power"

www.Se7en-Up.co.uk id=green>

Blatman,

I'm sure Fred wasn't serious and only posted that to see if you were awake as, of course, ALL Caterham owners know you really shouldn't grease the trunnions! teeth.gif

Brent

P.S.

Can I take issue with you re your Location, and just say 'Honfleur Bridge'. teeth.gif

Edited by - BRENT CHISWICK on 28 Jun 2002 10:14:50

Brent - Thanks for coming in to my defence, but in this case I was WRONG! I read the thread as being an old Triumph and took me back to my apprenticeship days on Triumphs. At that time all we did was use grease, but on a regular basis this did not allow the grease to harden and cake up.

My apologies for my inaccurate reply - What a prat eh?

My punishment - No driving my Caterham on the next sunny day!+ You can all beat me up at Curborough!

fredid=blue> eek.gif

Brent.

Honfleur Bridge, yep. Beaten fair and square. But in my defence, you'll recall my intermittent fault at 4000rpm. I still have it, and it's becoming a real bugger...........

Fred.

No trunnions, no mistakes..........tongue.gif

Good natured......ALWAYS.....biggrin.gif

Blatman,

Yes I recall your intermittent misfire BUT we were 2 up in my car and Ben, you will recall, is no lightweight.

So I reckon 28 1/2 stone(combined) more than nullifies your misfire (alleged) thus making the Zetec powered Caterham the more effective machine teeth.gif

Ahem, don't tell anybody else but having sat in your car Ben is quite taken with the idea of getting a Westy due to the extra shoulder width!

I blame it on his mothers misguided influence. The poor lad keeps having these aberrant thoughts. I feel much re-education is required!

Brent

Doesn't matter how much more your car weighed when mine is producing zero horsepower.......bite bite bite biteteeth.gif

And Ben is obviously maturing into a discerning young man of impeccable taste. Why spoil itteeth.gifteeth.gif