Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Axle stands on slopes - how safe

Nick Woods

I want to get my car up on four axle stands so I can get under the centre section (ramps wont work because the centre bit is too low to the ground)

The problem I have is that there is a slight slope to my drive. The area has a strong concrete base so there is no damage of the stands sinking in but it slopes a little - from one end of the car to the other there will be about a 5 to 6-inch drop.

If I put the 'point' of the triangle facing down the slope ,will it be safe ? I'd put something large under the car (probably my ramps) next to where I'd be working so it could catch the car if it fell but obviously I'd rather it didnt dfall in the first place

Nick

P8MRA - The greenid=green> one with redid=red> wings

Provided the top of the axle stand is still over the base you should be OK. This means you may not be able to get the stand to full hight, but should certainly be able to give yourself enough clearance to work.

Put something else under the wheels "just in case". I always try and have a backup support of somekind as I don't think dropping a Seven on my head would do me much good.

Dave H

Taran

I'm impressed you feel you can last 10 mins or so with a car on top of you. Even with my car being a Superlight, I'd have thought most of the damage would occur in the first second or so - immediately as bits of chassis puncture various organs.

Having had one car nearly fall on me, I would have someone within shouting distance.... In my case, I had been lazy and used a scissor jack to lift one side of the car and then the other. The axle stands looked secure but the centre of gravity was off on a side to side basis. So after I had taken the wheels off the car decided to right itself as the rear suspension settled and pulled the car sideways. At this point the top of the stands headed toward the range of the feet and I had to hold the car sideways until my girlfriend put my trolley jack in place so I could get my LEGS out of the way.

Lesson one: even if the car is on stands place the wheels under the car in places than can support the weight. That way, even if the car does fall there is still a 6" or 7" gap that you can get out of without being crushed to pulp.

Lesson two: use a trolley jack so the lift is even and LEAVE it in place with no weight on it so that it acts as a 5th axle stand. Might not do much but it could save your life!

After my incident, it took several years before I went under a car again.

Cheers,

Graham

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Nick

I always use something that I can put under the car (such as blocks of wood or even concrete blocks) so that if the worst were to happen the car would land on them and not me.

I try to put them in a place where the will do the least damage to the car, but realistically, damage to a car can be put right. Sometimes damage to a person CAN NOT.

Take care and be safe

Tom

just put mine on stands last night....on a sloping drive too! I chocked the front wheels heavily so it wouldn't roll forward. My stands are square bottomed so they take a hell of a movement to topple them- I don't think the Seven is heavy enough to roll down the gentle slope, but thanks for the tip about putting the wheels underneath. It was a waste of time anyway, the spax adjusting screws are seized

Dave Robertson

I had real trouble trying to get a sevens front wheels up on wramps without help as they just kept slipping away, I solved the problem by buying a large sheet of MDF and screwing a 4x4 piece of wood across it, this acts as a cover for the floor to catch any spills, a stop to let me know how far forward to park my car without hitting the wall and a good back stop to place the wramps against, I now drive up them with ease. I have even drilled three holes on each side of the wramps so as I can screw the wramps to the wood to stop any movement.

Thanks again folks.

I put the front end up on the stands last night and found I had enough room to get to the bit I wanted to reach (I was scraping out all of the crud between the drivers pedal box and the outer skin prior to waxoyling it - what a lovely job...).

I chocked the rear wheels and put my ramps under the chassis next to where I was working, and put a piece of 4x4" timber across them to give me more of a buffer in case it fell. Then I gave it a little push or two to make sure it was stable before I went underneath it.

I will have to put it up on 4 stands at some time but at least I'm a little more confident now.

Phil - I too find it tricky to get up onto ramps, I now use some big bits of timber between the ramp and the wall behind to stop them sliding.

Nick

Edited by - Nick Woods on 28 Jun 2002 09:11:30

Re ramps - what about the old trick of looping a piece of carpet around the bottom rung of the ramp so that the wheels of the car drive over it *before* they touch the ramp (if you see what I mean). That way the weight of the car stops the ramps moving back.

martin

I tried that but it didnt work on the fronts - the car just pushed the ramps and carpet back as a pair. If the carpet was long enough to go under the back wheels as well I'm sure it would work, as it also would if reversing up.

Nick

If going to the top hole in the axle stands,have found that its best to jack up the rear first and place the rear ramps then jack up the front, - 'when going down' let the front down first. Have found that the weight of the engine will transfer the weight backwards if done the other way. If in doubt, get the wife to work under the vehicle!!! Mike H

Axle stands are great when you need to unbolt wheels - if you don't a good plan is to use the huge grey bricks that inner walls are built of these days. One under each wheel. With the handbrake on/ gear engaged - obviously. I find them quick, easy and safe.

I have had the weight of an axle stand dig into a tarmac drive and topple over - admittedly with a 1500kg car on it.

Jonathan