Click here if you are having website access problems ×

North Sea Cycle Route 2009 (FINISHED)

J.Smit

It has been a couple of years since my last bicycle trip and the leg muscles start to itch again which means that it is time to start planning another trip *biggrin* . The idea is to do another long distance fundraising bicycle trip in 2009 trying to collect as much money for the Leukaemia Research Fund as possible. This time no return trip to Santiago de Compostela or Venice but a full trip around the North Sea. The North Sea Cycle Route is the world’s longest cycle route being just over 5800 km long, based on existing national, regional and local cycle routes, utilising existing signing.

I do not consider this bicycle trip to be a race (although I am sure many people will probably disagree), but the total distance of 5800 km in combination with the available time of 8 weeks will force me to be on the bike every day. The journey will go from the middle of The Netherlands - Germany - Denmark - Sweden - Norway where I will make the crossing from Bergen to Scotland following the East coast of England all the way down to Harwich for the final boat crossing back to The Netherlands. By cycling the route counter clockwise I hope to have some benefit from the crosswind along the Danish coast which is most of the time coming from the South-West (fingers crossed 😬 ). Starting date probably the middle of June 2009.

For further details, see: my website - here

Please sponsor me now (easy via here)!

Donating through Justgiving is quick, easy and totally secure. It’s also the most efficient way to sponsor me: Leukaemia Research gets your money faster and, if you’re a UK taxpayer, Justgiving makes sure 25% in Gift Aid, plus a 3% supplement, are added to your donation.

Cheers,

Jan S.

Caterham Super Seven [Mustard Yellow]

Ford 2.0 Zetec http://www.justgiving.com/jansmit

Edited by - JanSmit on 18 Aug 2009 09:49:04

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally a campingsite with access to internet.

A short update of my trip so far (it's not easy being used to a qwerty keyboard but I

will have a go anyway):

14 June - home town / Heerde / 91 km

15 June - Heerde / Nieuweschans / 162 km

16 June - Nieuweschans / Norddeich (D) / 104 km

17 June - Norddeich / Dangast / 133 km

18 June - Dangast / Sahlenburg / 131 km

19 June - Sahlenburg / Thalingburenerdeich / 142 km

20 June - Thalinburenerdeich / Elisabeth Sophien Koog / 98 km

21 June - Elisabeth Sophien Koog / Ballum (DK) / 106 km

Eight days on the road and covered a total 966 km so far. Wind mostly coming from

the North-West which is more or less the direction I am going ☹️

Legs are feeling good. Weather is mostly dry accept for the occassional shower during the day

or night. Temperature is not that high for the time of the year. Global warming should

improve temperatures so they say. Hope it starts soon 😬

All for now.

Jan S.

Caterham Super Seven (Mustard Yellow) Ford 2.0 Zetec

http://www.justgiving.com/jansmit

• 1 month later...

Finally found the time and energy to type some lines on my laptop. After 8 weeks on the road it is not easy to sit behind a desk in front of a laptop all day. Even cycling 100 miles in the rain gives more satisfaction 😬

Arrived back home last Thursday after cycling a total of 5365 km without a single puncture (as already mentioned by Martin) and still on the original tires! Only had to replace the paddles (ballbearings worn), some brake- and gear cables and the rear brake pads.

What can I say about the whole trip?

- interesting (landscape),

- dangerous (some parts of the road),

- beautiful (met several nice Norwegian girls cycling part of the same route),

- hot (heatwave in Norway - not related to the previous - although?),

- tirering (25% hills in North York Moors),

- pleasant (meeting other 7 club members),

- wet (Scotland),

- windy (Denmark and Orkney),

- quick (flight from Bergen to Kirkwall),

- disappointing (campsite in St.Andrews: pooring rain, cold and windy 'sorry, we are full'),

- satisfying (arriving home safe and sound and no serious problems with the bike!).

Further update will follow in Low Flying.

Many thanks to Ian, Martin (and family) and Phil for taking the time to visit me. And a special thanks to Ian for promoting this NtL entry in blatchat and all his extra work by keeping the members informed. Thanks guys, it kept me motivated all the way.

Jan S.

Caterham Super Seven (Mustard Yellow) Ford 2.0 Zetec

http://www.justgiving.com/jansmit

Edited by - JanSmit on 11 Feb 2010 09:35:10

• 5 months later...