Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Retro-fitting a Cat to a '95 kit built car

Simon_hill

Hi All,

I'm moving to Germany and it looks like I'll need a catalyst to stand a chance of registering the car there, even though it's not required in the UK.

The car is a '95, originally 1.4SS (now 1.8 EU2, though running the old ECU, so largely irrelevant), which is fitted with a 4 into 1 long primary system with no catalytic converter.

Assuming I buy a exhaust/cat with lambda sensor etc, was this ECU ever capable of taking a lambda sensor input (i.e. unlikely as it is, is there a socket for the lambda sensor, which the ECU would then read and magically switch to closed loop control?)

If it's not that simple (I suspect not), then is there an alternative ECU from the same era, which would work (were there two specs - cat and non cat)?

If not, any suggestions (apart from emerald and new exhaust with cat)

Many thanks in advance, *thumbup*

Simon

I have just done exactly that to get a 1992 engine through the current SVA

Although the female connector is on the loom check the wires connect to the ecu.

I reiuned a cat due to me assuming Caterham must have connected them, they didn't.

I can not find my old ecu diagrams - however they are on the net.

My car passed the current emmissions 4 weeks ago although the engine is 1992

Hope this helps

Miles

Cheers for the replies so far guys *thumbup*

Sounds like it could be relatively straightforward. Will have to check the connector tonight. Might be slightly tricking seeing if the wires go into the ECU though!

Miles, did the engine run any differently?

Cheers again,

Simon

Simon

This may help: here. Although it mentions an Emerald ECU the pinouts on the plug are the same for the Rover ECU. As you can see it tells you the position of the pin-out & colour of the wire.

*idea* Once youve identified the lambda sensor plug you can test for continuity into the ECU plug using the continuity function on your multi-meter.

Mick