Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Camber change

allegro

I am trying to change the front cambers, but cannot release the top pivot joint (not sure what it's called ). I have undone the nut underneath and no amount of banging or heaving will break what I assume to be a taper lock. Has anyone got a trick for releasing this joint question.gif

Thanks

Andy Mac

teeth.gif Team Langoustine. Hard Core Prawn teeth.gif

Edited by - ALLEGRO on 27 Jun 2002 13:07:32

I changed mine last weekend. Used a sykes pickervant ball joint seperater and used plenty of grease on the rubber boot to allow the splitter to slide under, tightend it up and bang the joint split apart very easily. On re-assembly smeared a little copperease to assit any future work, good luck, phil

How much will a ball joint separator set me back ? Where can I get one from ? Anyone in the Wokingahm / Reading area got one I can Borrow ?

idea.gif I'll clean your exhaust in return. teeth.gif

Andy Mac

Jack car so wheel is just off the floor. Place heavy steel bar (12" ish) on the upright where the taper for the joint is. Hit bar hard with a BIG hammer. This will shock the joint free. It sometimes takes a few blows to do it but persevere. The advantage is that you don't ruin your rubber gaiter this way (which is not obtainable as a spare)

If you really don't like the sound of all this, you could detach the wishbone at the inboard end and twist the whole thing with the top joint still installed. Fairly laborious, but I've done this before, for a number of obscure reasons...

Edited by - tony pashley on 28 Jun 2002 08:21:19

OK I tried lots of ideas suggested to me and resorted to using a ball joint splitter. I now have two loose ball joints ready for me to adjust the camber. I also have two destroyed rubber seals.

Can somebody tell me where I can get hold of these quickly.

While it's in bits I will give the tapper a wipe with copperslip.

Many thanks

Andy Mac

SAFETY WARNING

You should not under any circumstances assembly tapers with any form of lubricant.

The whole idear is that a taper locks giving a solid joint, if there is any form of contamination the joint may move , causing wear and in extremes failure.

If when a taper is assembled it is perfectly dry and clean the only reason it should not come apart with a relevant spliter and a sharp tap is if the taper is of poor maching quality, (USE ANOTER SUPPLIER).

To split the top wishbone joint I use a direct push spliter (about £4 at a good motor factors) and with a bit of care you should in no way damage the rubber gaiter

CHRIS

Thanks Chris. Advise taken.

I still need to buy 2 new rubber gaitors tomorrow. Same question, does anybody know where to get them from, as Caterham do not sell them as a spare part ?

Andy Mac

Hi Andy,

Not sure about the normal rubber gaiters but I have seen that the people who do the Powerflex bushes do some replacement seals... only seen them in DT's so far so you might not get them in time

Phil Waters

Zetec is in and running wink.gif

Some good news.

Contrary to previous rumours, the ball joint gaitor is a stocked replacement item from Caterham at circa £1.29p each minimum order 4.

So panic over. for me anyway.

Andy Mac