Click here if you are having website access problems ×

what alternative to MB wheels

marcos59

• Area Representative

MB wheels are light and beautiful...

However crack testing each year etc.. sound like something painful.

What are the lighter wheels after MB ones (witch not need any maintenance) ?

Perhaps Rial ? But still 3 piece.. *rolleyes*

• Leadership Team

The Rial wheels are excellent quality - totally different to MBs but also much heavier, and much more durable! Personally the Rials would be my choice, but I don't have any desire for my car needing to be absolute minimum weight.

Stu.

the rials have also seen failure. So they should also be crack tested.

Then there are Image wheels or Force. Or Compomotive 3 piece or revolution 3 piece.

All are quite light and have delicate spun outer rims and not really suited to sustained track use without proper maintenance including crack testing and bolt renewal.

......... I'll give it 30 minutes before someone comes along to say they have used all these wheels for 10 years with no issues.

I'm sure you have but having seen myself 4 breakages of 3 piece wheels I now choose to use Compomotive CXR and forgo the extra 1kg per wheel. *smile*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

• Area Representative

Thanks for all replies ! *thumbup*

Currently my car have CXR ! Seem to be one of the lightest one piece wheel..but I love look of these 3 piece "single seater type" wheels *redface* 🥰

Brand new ones (image/rial/revolution modular/panasport ) are out of budget and almost never come for sale SH.

I will wait the right set for well maintened SH MB wheels (anyone ? 😬)

What about SLR wheels ?! Do they need less maintenance than MB ones ?! Are they more robust ?!

I thought MB did aluminium centres as well as the usual magnesium which are heavier but less fragile if you are the worried type.

That said I would have thought any lightweight 3 piece wheels with the spun ali rims are bound to need more tlc than a standard cast alloy.

I run cxrs on the road and try and keep the MB's for sunday best (track) but never seems to work out just so. You can never have too many sets you know.

Will

• Support Team

Dave - what size and offset of CXR wheel are you using?

I have recently bought some Image Billet 4 wheels in 7.5"x13" and 8.5"x13" for sprinting but was toying with buying CXRs as a set for road and track. I need the backdepth to be about 111mm front and 140mm rear. Would 8" front and 9" rear be OK or should I try 8.5" rear?

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Stop! The RIALs from 1st generation had only 1 time problems in UK on the rear axle with using slicks. This problem is since 3 years sorted because a new design. All wheels with problems from 1st generation are changed by manufactor since years! The weight is still under 5 kg and for a alloy center - TUV approverd - pretty good. The outside rim is painted with clear varnish. It is not cheap but these wheels have the best size and offset for using 185/60 13 in front and 205/60-13 at rear. There are also wheels available for all 13" Kumho Ecsta sizes.

Regards

Joachim

www.mog-racing.com

I have just refurbed two sets of MB wheels for my car. The price from Mike for this service is very good value and the process very simple. I found the whole episode quiet theraputic and would recommend the MB wheels to anyone wanting a great looking wheel with the lowest weight.

Of course all of the above would go out the window if I had a failure but then I restrict their use to the track 😬

Just bought a set of Caterham 13" 8 spokes and will send the MBs off to Mike for a refurb (v.reasonable) when I've taken the tyres off.

Believe there is a date code on the MB centres (YY/MM), so will check mine in the daylight this weekend.

Dayglo Yellow / Carbon Superlight R No.29 (VHPD)

Edited by - Philip on 30 Jan 2009 22:05:20