Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Starter - The Cure??

Paul Richards.

During the dash rebuid I added a relay into the system bypassig the MFRU and all the dodgy power supplies, splits etc.

It was fine for a while but now the click is back. If you quickly pulse the starter button it turns over. In my case maybe I need to strip the motor/solenoid and have a look.

Annoying. *mad*

• Leadership Team

I've done this mod both including the MFU and completely by-passing the MFU - both work *thumbup*

The most common fault appears to be the small MFU solenoid relay not being able to handle the current - if the MFU is still in good condition it is fine remaining in the circuit and appears to continue to work okay. However, if it's fried it's best to by-pass it altogether otherwise the fault "may" persist.

Stu.

Check your earths - first time I had this it was due to the bolt where the battery earth lead connects being badly corroded. Five minute job to fix (after I spent about five hours and a couple of hundred pounds replacing everything else including the starter motor!)

I'm very happy that there are people working this stuff out and getting their hands dirty fixing stuff, I do think it's a bit simplistic to state that it's down to any one thing though. There are many significant contributing factors to this problem I will start the list:

1. 'Cooking' the starter motor under the exhaust primaries - I have rebuilt the solenoid and cleaned up the pitted piston a couple of times to address this

2. MFRU relay not up to scratch - I have put another relay in-line to fix this

3. Low tension wiring to solenoid - I ran a separate cable alongside the original one with a switch so that I could alternate between one and the other when the fault occurred so that I could prove to myself what was causing it. Each time the click happened, flicking the switch and trying again worked

4. Battery master switch - I replaced this with a new one to get it working again

5. New starter motor and solenoid

6. New battery - having not replaced the battery since I bought the car in 2003 (I think) I replaced the battery last year to fix the click problem

Each of these fixes have stopped the problem from happening (for a bit). This demonstrates to me that there are many different causes for the symptoms - all related to not enough juice getting to the starter motor itself. I think that all of the components in the chain degrade over time and replacing any one of them will normally put you back above the failure threshold. The only one I never got around to replacing was the HT cable running from the FIA key to the starter motor, that was the next fix I was keeping in reserve for the next time it started clicking, but I've sold the engine, loom and starter motor now!

C

back here because I want to be.

the HT cable running from the FIA key to the starter motor
There's your problem squire - HT cable is for the ignition, not for the starter 😬

Yeah, I've done all those. The one that made the biggest difference was by-passing the battery master switch, taking a feed direct from the battery. Starting was, well, as you'd expect of any car really - not an issue. Though now it seems my 3rd (or is it 4th) Banner is going downhill, sulking at lack of use in 2010 (sometimes only once a week).

• Leadership Team

But if you have a whole list of changes that "fixed" the problem, obviously something somewhere didn't really work!

After repeatedly rebuilding the starter on my first car, I did Paul's relay mod and never had a problem again. Ever.

I've since changed my car and the new one already had the relay mod done, and guess what, it never has the click of death.

I know where I'll hang my hat ....

Stu.

that's tempting, but not true in every case.

as has been said, the issue is reduced ability to conduct current, a number of reduced conductivity items can result in the click. Fixing one of them can allow sufficient current once more, until something else (or the same thing) has further reduced ability.

My own c.o.d. story here