Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Farty exhaust - Can stainless steel be easiliy welded?

Steve Wright

• Area Representative

I have a standard catalyst K-Series single pipe exhaust system.

I've had a farty exhaust sound for some time and have been stealing myself to replace it. However, I am an originality freak and want to keep the present system if at all possible. (I know I should ditch the system and fit a four branch, but I'm a sad git)

I have now found that the circular weld between the tail pipe and the end cheek of the silencer has parted company. This is only visible when the system is hot, when greater expansion of the internal pipe takes place. The gap is then clearly visible all the way round the join and exhaust fumes come out of the gap.

I know that stainless steel can be welded as that is the way that it was manufactured. My question is how easy would it be to get somebody to remake the weld? Would the repair be subject to the same stresses and therefore break again?

Advice on where to get the work done in Norfolk or Suffolk would be handy too *smile*

I would also need to get the whole system re-polished at the same time 😬

Ta

visit Carrotland.co.uk

I agree at least with my cheapo MIG. Using the right gas - Argon is best I have found.

I had trouble welding right at the manifold headers where the SS if heat cycle hardened so much. My work just cracked or a new crack appeared along side my work. I got a TIG owning expert to repair and strengthen area. Been fine since then.

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My racing & other pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Mine did the same a year ago. Inlet pipe parted company with the perforated pipe through the silencer and the end plate. Powerspeed welded it back on to perforated pipe, welded up the cracked original end plate and fitted a new end plate, so I now have a double end plate (with a few mm gap in between) which makes it neater and stronger. Without asking, they also polished the whole can, so I haven't fitted the heat guard since. Job done for £50 all in a couple of hours *thumbup*

• Area Representative

Brilliant, thanks very much for all your help chaps.

I've been advised of a local welding compnay who do a good job. Apparently failure of this seam is common, I am told that the stainless steel used for the end of the box is poor and doesn't take a weld as easiliy as the tailpipe. Normally the weld breaks away from the box rather than the pipe.

Thanks again for all your help *thumbup*