Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Knocking noise - Brake related?

Al Crickmore

Chaps.

I have a noise. It's like having something caught in the spokes of the wheels or something. As soon as a certain amount of pressure is applied to the brake pedal you hear a small clunk and the noise stops. Release the brake and very soon the knocking comes back. I take it something is loose or interfering with something else? Any ideas?

No, I doubt it is a problem loose pad they do sit loose in the caliper the knock of which is set on the disk seemd to send them quite a way back when you tap your foot on the pedal this is when you here the tap, when you have a race brake set up which this is they delete things that are put in for road use that make them nice and quite anti squeal shims etc, it is normal for them to tap on application of the pedal.

Saying that do just pop off a wheel and finger check that the callipers are fixed in place and nothing is loose the pad will wiggle a little bit.

Keith

Al

I have the same problem - noise comes from front offside and is on standard brakes. It seems to be a loose pad as suggested. I tried all sorts to stop it - use of copper grease, swapping pads with nearside etc. I have only ever been able to get a temporary fix.

You should however have a quick check to ensure that your noise is similar and that there is nothing loose.

I guess its one of those noises that gets drowned in all the sound deadening of a normal saloon and becomes a feature that you live with in a 7.

I have recently realised why 7 drivers have ear plugs. It's not the loud exhaust noise, but it drowns all those niggling noises. Try it - you'll be surprised how much better the car runs!!!

Paul R.

C7PPR

I had a similar one a few years ago that saw my alternator become loose enough to tip forward and "just" touch the chassis under heavy braking making an almighty racket.

Only happened under braking and the Alternator otherwise worked fine. Replaced pads and copper slipped etc etc and took me ages to work it out... it was quite subtle.

i have also had this noise but on the rear nearside, its not very load and is only realy noticable when caosting up to a junction. It disapears when the brakes are applied. Having taken the thing apart several times and found nothing wrong i can only assume that it's the pads moving in the caliper.

Hmm. I know I'm paranoid (as we all are) about odd noises and I could handle this one if it wasn't as loud as it is. Something must be pretty loose to make this noise. You can easily hear it over the engine at anything below 3000RPM. Doesn't seem to affect the operation of the brakes though.....puzzling.

Does the noise occur repeatedly or only once , as soon as you reapply do you get the same noise ?

Without hearing the noise its difficult to diagnose but sounds like it could be the pads moving in their abutments .

ie when you reverse then apply the brakes the pads will move to contact the bottom ( lower ) abutment . When you then drive forwards and then apply the brake the pad will move to its top abutment and you will get a knock momentarily .

If you get it repeatedly , particularly in the forward direcion it maybe that the pads in your caliper after application move away ( down ) from the abutment , hence the next time you apply you get a knock as the pads moves back against the upper abutment .

Try reversing back and for and applying the brakes to see if you get the same noise as the pads chage abutments . If it does and assuming you have the correct pads in the caliper I wouldnt worry about it .

Some caliper designs have a spring steel shim between pad and abutment to stop this noise .