Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Type 9 speedo drive

LesG

Can anyone tell me, or supply suitable pics, of how the speedo cable attaches to the gearbox please? I have the cable with a 90 degree elbow fitting, but can't see any way of attaching it to the drive on the gearbox? My spares bin is getting very empty now, and certainly I can't see anything to mate these two parts together. *confused*

Cheers Les.

A small quill( square section inner cable ) about 2 inches long connects the drive into the gearbox. The drive is held onto the box with a C type circlip. The pics should explain everything.

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

From Malcolm's pics it's clear I'm missing the short 'quill', but also, the flared washer part that is held onto the gearbox with the circlip has detached from my angle drive.

I'll see if I can 'correct' the situation with araldite or similar, otherwise it looks like a new/replacement angle drive.

Cheers for the help, as always! *thumbup*

The VDO one is all one piece, but mine has made in England on it and the bit that goes into the gearbox and is held by the circlip is detachable by unscrewing it, and is available as a cheap replacement part, instead of paying 50 odd pounds for a whole one. Not sure about later models

Cheers John.

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

Hiyas, mine is the VDO one-piece angle drive, and it's now clear what has happened;

the brazing on the bottom of the angle drive has split, with the washer part being held onto the gearbox with the circlip becoming totally detached. Obviously when the car was disassembled, the speedo cable must have fallen off, and the quill piece dropped into the 'sweeping-ups'. I don't really want to try re-brazing the two parts back together for fear of heat damage to the angle drive, so I will get the araldite out to repair that. As for the quill, looks like a scrapyard ratch for something suitable.

Thanks for the help again chaps! *thumbup*