Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

What front ARB do I want?

The Pikey

During a conversation about the general handling of my 7 with one of the Caterham guys on the stand at Autosport, I was told that my green front ARB is not the preferred one. This surprised me a little as it was supplied with a superlight spec car.

Which one is the best one to get bearing in mind I want to do the odd track day and plenty of road use should the weather let me.

Thanks

Jason

It clunks, it rattles and the wife hates it, but I love my BEC.

Green does seem a trifle hard for a BEC... TBH I've always thought of the orange one as being a bit too thin to be effective, but that's the opinion of someone with a lardy VX engine. FWIW, I would take a guess that the most common type in everyday (road) use would be the red one.

IIRC the green is 18mm thick (= ~7/10), the Orange can come in two flavours 3/8 or 1/2 inch and the red is 5/8.

If you were looking to change the Freestyle adjustable may be the way to go, but I am not sure where the full soft setting sits with regard to the relative stiffness compared with the above - they (Freestyle) should know.

Vinnie

Jason,

I seem to recall your car is light, but not stupidly light.

My guess would be orange or maybe blue. My own patheticly (for a car engined car)light K-series is understeering with a soft bar at the hardest setting at the rear and a red on the front.

/regin

There is never enough time to do it properly, but there is always time to do it again

• Area Representative

Jason,

what springs and dampers are you running?

For a largely road based car, softish springs and softish ARB's will give a more compliant ride.

If the car is set too stiffly, traction and braking will suffer, and its likely to want to launch you through hedges when you hit any bumps in country roads.

Cars that handle well on a smooth track are often quite a hand full on country lanes!

On the other hand, a car that is set up for hillclimbing is more likely to work well on the road.

First look at spring rates, then consider what ARB's to run, but keep it softer for the road.

Richard

I have Nitrons but I can't remember what springs I have but I know they are soft ones as its a BEC. Although it has not happend yet, you are right about hitting bumps in the road a getting launched through a hedge.

So just to collate the suggestions given so far:

Orange

Free Style

Blue

Red

What are you guys trying to do to me? I'm more confused than ever *biggrin*

Jason

It clunks, it rattles and the wife hates it, but I love my BEC.

Front and rear bars work in combination. Generally the stiffer the ARB, the more that end will slide. Hence a stiff front end will tend to promote understeer. This can be reduced by stiffening up the rear or softening the front. In general most people prefer a softer ride setting and it is generally quicker on track for most people. In the wet you need to keep the settings as soft as possible all round. Ideally run no ARBs at all in the wet.

A generally acceptable "set and forget" combo might be a "medium" red bar on the front and softest (rearmost) setting on the rear ARB. Alternatively an orange front and no rear bar (i.e. remove one side on the rear and leave loose). You can buy extra ball joints to fix permanently on all four holes of the rear bar (8 in total, 4 per side). Once these are fitted you just flick the rear link off and clip onto your new setting. You don't even need to bother with the circlip as it won't come off and it takes literally 10 seconds to change the setting. Perfect for playing on track days.

If you want the back end to move about a bit more just stiffen the back up a bit (i.e. move the drop links forward on the rear ARB). Good fun but probably slower.