Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

VHPD thermostat

R500 CYA

What thermostat do you run in yours?

My car is mainly used on the track, but whilst the head was off today I thought I'd check the thermostat and found it didn't have one fitted.

I presume this was the previous owner cure for the dodgy head gasket, so now I'm putting it all back together properly, I'd be interested to know what you guys use, and what sort of temp you see on track days.

Thanks.

Nick

Superlight race cars don't run thermostats. The VHPD engine was originally fitted with an 82 degree thermostat, IIRC. I prefer this thermostat to the lower temp ones as it opens a bit more progressively - with the 72 degree one I get sub-72 degree running on the open road on days with ambient ~16 degrees and lower.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

I have it on good authority that Rover have introduced a new thermostat which is both temperature and pressure sensitive, this goes a long way to minimising the problems caused by temperature cycling and the large heat gradient either side of the thermostat. It has reduced warranty claims from head gasket problems significantly. At the moment it is only listed for a freelander, but it should become available across the board.

Oily