Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Engine Parts

alan c

With very limited understanding of the inner workings of the internal combustion engine and how to build one and set up cam timing etc etc I have bought an old engine that is largely in bits.

My aim is to first build it back into one unit with whatever parts I can find and see if I can do it, then I will take it apart and look at rebuilding in a new improved condition.

I already have the following:-

Block with crankshaft, pistons,rods etc and the fly wheel. I have the cylinder head with valves, springs and tappets.

I am missing the following that I know of so far and probably more:-

Cam shafts

Cam cover,

Cylinder head bolts = numerous gaskets

All the front end ie 'tinware' behind the cam belt, cam belt etc cam belt cover and what ever else is buried under that.

Oil pump

water pump

sump.

If anyone has any of the above or any other parts that may be relevant I am interested. Given what I am seeking to do/learn consition is not an issue at this stage.

If you have anything that you think I might be interested in please either send me an email to 'penn7s@yahoo.co.uk' or give me a call on 07788 560646

Cheers

Alan

Alan

I have a pair of standard camshafts plus the camshaft pulleys that you're welcome to if you still need them. You might prefer to leave off all the cam cover tin-ware as this is known to be a mixed blessing as it can retain stones and other detritus that can find its way in and cause the belt to break or jump, thus wrecking your pride and joy. See current thread on Techtalk. However I do have the covers (not sure about the screws) if you want them. Probably got an old belt too.

Depending on which head you have I've got several sets of head bolts of the bolt-head variety, these take a torx socket to tighten them, as opposed to the later socket cap-heads which take a torx bit. One's longer than the other - can't remember which but it does matter 😬 These should be replaced every time you remove the head (some might disagree, but I daren't risk it). Not sure how you identify which type you need but I think it has to do with head thickness. Someone on techtalk should be able to tell you.

If you haven't done this before, when you bolt down the head you must make sure that the tapped head bolt holes in the block are absolutely clean and dry with no water or oil in them. Otherwise when you tighten the bolts you will be pushing against the hydraulic pressure and will risk shearing the bolts long before the bolts clamp down against the head.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks I will take you up on those plus any old cylinder head bolts as right now I have none of those. As for the tip on checking the bolt holes are clean and dry, that is the sort of mistake I would definately make!

So far as the belt covers are concerned I did read your post on the other thread and certainly to start with I am not that bothered about the cover but there is another bit that I also need to locate. There is a shaped metal plate that has a crank tining point on it and I think mountings for the cam belt tensioning pulleys that I need to locate as well. eventually I will buy new bolts,gaskets etc etc and if I have to go to a dealer to get some parts thats fine.

My goal for now is to put something together and learn as I do it on a low budget, if I break things doing so its not the end of the world.

What do you want to do about collection/payment? I think I have seen on posts that you are close to Guildford which is not that far from me in Amersham.

I also wouldnt mind a chat about your experience with ignition systems. Currently I have the standard set up with Carbs and I like the ideas of being 'different' and staying with them but I am thinking about a new ignition with TPS and wonder how much difference that would make and I think I recall seeing comments from you about that.

If you want to go 'offline' on all of this my email address is penn7s@yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks

Alan