Click here if you are having website access problems ×

20L Jerry cans........

Martin S.

Well, I bought one of these "20 litre" jerrycans thinking that I would be able to put 20 litres of V-Power in it. But NO, it only took 19 litres, brimmed!

Does the "airspace" previously mentioned account for the other litre? Or should my local Shell station think about getting their pump re-calibrated? (not that I'm complaining if I actually got 20 but paid for 19!) Or is 20 litres just a nominal figure? Or is this why they're going cheap at Aldi?

Seems well made though, with v secure cap.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the cap should be released from time to time to let any vapour escape, if the fuel is stored for several weeks/months?

Peter Burt

Incidentally, does anyone know if the cap should be released from time to time to let any vapour escape, if the fuel is stored for several weeks/months?

Definitely not. Keep 'em sealed.

Petrol deteriorates because the volatile aromatics (love that phrase) evaporate off. If you keep them full, and sealed, the vapour pressure will prevent any more from evaporating. Kept this way, petrol should be good for a few months - though if you're sprinting/racing and want it at its best I should aim for a few weeks at most.

BTW, filling them with cold fuel fresh from the tank and then leaving them in the sun for a while is a good recipe for "fuel all over the floor" when you open them

Roger, this sounds like the voice of experience 😳!

On a different tack: One of my reasons for buying the can in the first place was so that I don't have to rely on finding a Shell station that hasn't had it's V-power pump nozzles converted to the new, non-aerofiller-friendly variety. I was intending to use a funnel but wondered if the Machine-Mart or similar nozzle attachment for the jerrycan worked okay with the aerofiller?

Peter Burt

Roger

The offset funnel looks like a simple, cheap solution. However, before seeing your reply, I happened to be passing a Machine Mart so bought one of their flexible spouts.

It fits into the aerofiller a treat, but I've noted that the internal breather pipe is like a flattened tube, which is obviously to suit the MM jerrycan's wide internal breather, whereas the Aldi jerrycan has a circular tube inside. These different internals don't seem to impinge on one another but, equally, they don't marry up as such. Is this important? Seems to me it should still "breathe" so long as I don't just up-end the can.

Peter Burt