Click here if you are having website access problems ×

20L Jerry cans........

Martin S.

To be slightly serious for a moment, that is a very good price. However, before you buy it consider whether you need any gubbins to get the fuel into the target vehicle.

I have a Machine Mart 20l can and their optional flexi-spout makes getting the fuel into the Caterham a painless process - better than messing about with a funnel. Dunno if such a device would fit on one of the Aldi cans.

Looks like a standard jerry can neck.

Only time I have a problem is when I attempt to use one of my new Machine Mart spouts on one of my ex-US Army, 1943 jerry cans - the air breath tubes don't quite line up. For some reason, the 1944 can works a lot better.

Bri

Don't forget that a 20l can is illegal now - see here

I presume this also means that you can't keep a car in a garage if it has more than 15 litres in the tank.... *confused*

Steve

Edited to say I have had a look at the government website:

What is the limit of the amount of petrol I can store for domestic use?

The Petroleum Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc.) Regulations 1929 and the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982 limit the amount of petrol that can be kept in a domestic garage or within six metres of a building (e.g. most domestic driveways). The limit is a maximum of two suitable metal containers each of a maximum capacity of ten litres or two plastic containers (which have to be of an approved design) each of a maximum capacity of five litres. These limits also apply to any containers kept in a vehicle parked in the garage or on the driveway (but not to the internal fuel tank of the vehicle). Under no circumstances should the petrol containers be stored in the home itself.

Anyone who wishes to store larger quantities than this, or use larger containers, is required to notify the local Petroleum Licensing Authority (PLA) and to store the petrol in a prescribed manner set out in the 1929 Regulations mentioned above - enquirers who want further details should contact their local PLA. Storage of more than 275 litres (60 gallons) of petrol requires a petrol licence - again, contact the local PLA.

hse website

Edited by - sjmmarsh on 21 Jan 2009 00:06:10

There just had to be a goverment regulation somewhere about it didn't there........next time I return from a sprint with any fuel left in my 20L jerry can I'll chuck it down the drain then, or maybe padlock it to a suitable lamp post more than 6M from my house *mad* 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Jerry cans have been "illegal" for years. Note those quotes are from 1929 and 1982 legislation. Martin, you won't have any fuel left in your 20L jerry can because it would have been illegal to fill it up at the garage in the first place, let alone travel with it.

Incidently, I use red ones from Machine Mart - £15 on a VAT-free day. Not sure why, but I much prefer them in red! These are better value, but the MM ones are worth considering if these sell out.

A 20 ltr can is only illegal if you don't have a petroleum licence from the local council - I haven't called them to find out what it would cost, so a garage wouldn't know (and I agree with you Aeroscreens - they probably don't care).

The main thing to be aware of is that this could leave you exposed if you regularly store full jerry cans and you have a fire, as it is likely that the fire brigade investigation would conclude you had too much petrol on site. Filling up ahead of a trackday and keeping empty-ish cans the rest of the time should not be a problem (unless you are very unlucky).

Steve

I think more than 10 ltrs isn't illegal and doesn't need a licence. You simply need inform the local Petroleum Licensing Agency and keep it outside the garage and more than 6m away from the house. Licence is only for more than 250ltrs. Talk to your local fire brigade for info.

There is a fire training demo if it's still done, that would make you think twice about storing petrol.

Take one single car pre-fab garage. Place a full jerry can inside it. Open the lid. Close the garage door. Leave overnight. Stand course attendees behind a blast wall some distance from the garage. Walk to garage - open up and over door. Saunter back to blast wall, 30ft away. Watch with amusement as course attendess look at you with humour as you crouch behind wall. Pick up trigger for electric spark device in garage - the now well ventilated garage your attendees think . . . press button.

Watch with amusement as ALL attendees hit the deck as fireball erupts from garage 😬

Of course the blast wall has been placed far enough away for there to be no injuries and nothing other than lots of swear words (think Alain deCadenet stood on an airfield when he gets beat up by that Spitifre here. A little petrol fumes goes a LONG way.

From dim memory of when I worked for Shell, the only requirement for the petrol attendant is to ensure the person dispensing petrol is over 16 (I screwed up on that one after stopping a pump when tiny girl was filling a car - turned out to be srivers 25yr old, height challenged wife . . . oops!) and that the container is suitable - ie marked for petrol or metal with secure top - ie no wheelie bins, pop bottles, cooler boxes etc.

If forecourt operators don't know the regs, all sorts of controls are being broken, leaving the operator open to all sorts of interesting charges. Of course, due to the abuse they will have suffered the first time they attempted to apply some of these to someone attempting to fill an oil drum balanced in the boot of mini-cab, while all the passengers smoke, will be less than enthusiastic to do so again - the general public are a set of know-it all, abusive, intolerant, complaining, thick, arrogant, pillocks. Not that I ever got wound up about them at all *smile* And there are a few exceptions of course - I counted 5 in 2 years . . . *wink*

Bri

Place a full jerry can inside it. Open the lid. Close the garage door.
So presumauby if you accidentally leave the cap off the tank on your car that would have the same effect or possibly worse as the volume of petrol is likely to be more!........I wonder how the Big Brother brigade would police that one

Just gone and got a couple. Don't seem too bad. Seem to be the same as the ones I bought from MM with the vent pipe in the same place. Only difference is no lock pin for the cap (but the holes for it) and a slightly brighter green

W.Nut *thumbup*.

Rosso Superlight no.087 (no longer)

My local esso has one cashier who is a local celebrity jobsworth (I gather they created something on facebook for him)

I fill up 3 times a week and I'd say 50% of my visits he is on the tannoy saying could the customer on pump blah bring his fuel container into the shop for his approval. This usually results in some old boy tottering into the shop with his little red plastic tin for checking or a builder hurling abuse across the forecourt.

Unfortunately i must be his nemesis because occaisionally I turn up with 4 20 litre jerrys and he has a strop and says I can only fill 2 not 4. Then he wont let me fill them in the back of the truck and insists i have to put them on the floor to earth them.

On occaision I have used approved plastic containers and he still comes on the tannoy saying i have to put them on the floor which results in me storming into the shop to ask how one goes about earthing a plastic container.

On a serious note i do often store a few cans in the garage which has made me a little worried as it is intergral with the house. That said even if i store the petrol tins in the garden shed the garage will still have a caterham, 2 motor bikes and 3 outboard motor tanks which I imagine are just as potentially dangerous?

I am planning a new garage block on the back of this though 😬

Petrol is perefectly safe - you can even use it to put out fires (don't try that at home).

Unfortunately, petrol vapour ius rather more volatile...

There was a piece in Octane a few months back about what an excellent piece of design the Jerry can is. Of German design (hence Jerry), the Allied military refused to take an interest in the cans, but in Africa, raided German cans were found to be more effective and much safer than the traditional cans and eventually we simply copied the design and it's been going ever since.

So who designed the original can then? Anyone know?

Andy

The jerrycan was invented by the Germans during a secret project ordered by Hitler. The Germans called it the Wehrmachtskanister. The Germans had thousands of jerrycans stockpiled by 1939 in anticipation of war.[1]

Today similar designs are used for fuel and water containers, some of which are also produced in plastic. The designs usually emulate the original steel design and are still known as jerrycans, although they have also been called "jerryjugs" 😬 (or "jerry jugs", just as jerrycan is sometimes spelled as two words as well).

Yeah, but there must be a bloke somewhere whos says 'I invented that' - and it's such a clever (if not very glamorous) invention - the equivalent of cats eyes (well, almost).

- you can't overfill it (an air space always remains)

- it's stackable

- it won't burst when it gets hot

- it can be easily passed along a line for storage

- it's easy to strap onto a vehicle

- it doesn't leak, even if upside down

- it's easy to pour

- it locks easily but is easily opened too

- it's strong

- it's not expensive

- it lasts forever

etc

OK, he may be a fairly elderly gentleman by now - or perhaps it was another of Dr Porsche's designs...

Andy

Hmmm, interestingly, on a German website I've found a reference that says the Italians invented them for transportation of liquids in Africa and then around 1937 the Germans took the design and refined it for their own military use. *confused*

Found it - can you tell I'm bored at work today *wink*

In 1935 the German Army was in need for a new fuel container. In November they asked the industry for proposals.

It resulted in a prototype designed by Vinzenz Grünvogel head of the development department of the Schwelmer Eisenwerk Müller & Co AG.

The first model had already the famous cam locking system which is still in use today. Múller &Co was working together with Ambi-Budd Presswerk, a company with large presses. ABP was the supplier of the parts and they came with the idea of 2 halves welded together. So Müller & Co assembled the cans, welded the parts together and applied the innercoating.

In 1936 were 5000 cans made for a try-out by the army. In 1937 started the production. In that year Müller &Co tried to obtain a patent for the cam locking system. But since the whole operation was a secret army project I suppose nothing happened.

In 1951/52 Müller & Co applied again for a patent, both for the cam locking system and the can, but without success. The refusal might have to do with the the fact that the US army applied for such a patent in 1942 which was granted in 1944.

Up to 1945 the Wehrmacht Kanister was only built for the German Army, it needed such large quantities that no cans were available for civilian use, this was only possible after the war.

The aim of above is to give credit to the name of Vinzenz Grünvogel the inventor of the Wehrmacht Kanister, the famous Jerry Can which is unchanged still in use after more than 70 years!

*thumbup*

Here's to Vinzenz Grunvogel *smokin* 😬

Edited by - peterg on 23 Jan 2009 11:08:46