Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel studs / nuts

GrahamV

Had the wheels off today to give the bits underneath a good clean..... When putting the wheels back on I noticed that on all of the wheels the studs only go halfway into wheel nuts - i.e. it looks as if the studs could / should be half an inch longer to fill the length of the wheel nut. *confused*

Car is a 2000 Superlight R with the standard 5 spoke wheels. Any ideas? Are there different stud lengths?

G

• Support Team

It's probably not a major issue - Caterhams have been running like that for years. When I switched to the new design 8 spoke wheels I found that the nuts only went on a few turns. Caterham now fit longer studs so I bought new hub assemblies - you can just replace the studs if you want.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Hi Graham,

I had the same concerns on my 7 when running slicks on a track day a nut clinging on to a few threads did not fill me with confidence.

I've now fitted the 40mmm studs from Caterham (Part no 77369) nd this now means the stud is almost flush with the end of the nut.

Fronts are easy, back ones are pain as you need to remove the dreaded hub nut.

Tony

Tony

L7 EVL *evil*

Wheel stud Length

Thread engagement length.

In general, according to Machine Design magazine, the minimum recommended length of engagement is 0.75 to 1 times the bolt major diameter for threading into steel and other materials of comparable hardness; and 1 to 1.5 times the bolt major diameter for threading into brass, cast iron, and aluminium. These lengths of engagement specified are for full threads engaged, not overall bolt length. Regarding partial threads in the chamfers on the ends of internal or external threads, FED-STD-H28/2B, 1991, Sect. 7.7.2, p. 61, specifies that approximately half the countersink or chamfer depth may be included in the length of engagement calculation.

For a 12mm x 1.5 pitch nut that equates to 9mm of engagement absolute minimum(6 complete turns of the nut) or 8 full turns if 12mm engagement is used

also intend doing this upgrade Graham, i have purchased some new through nuts and need some longer studs, although the 40mm ones from cc would probably do the job i would prefer a longer stud, ideally 46mm. has anyone sourced the correct studs from anywhere else other than cc at a reasonable price. the ones in demon tweeks are around £4 *eek* each

Kevin R

black(but sometimes orange)-ali HPC

here

Hi Kevin

I've gone for the 40mm ones from Caterham - £1.06 each with free postage. £4 each stud seems a bit steep. GPR do a range of High Tensile Competitioon wheel studs from 43mm long right up to 60mm long - prices from £1.60 to £1.95 (2008 catalogue)

The other place I would try is Merlin Motorsport ....

Good luck

G *wavey*

be careful

some of the extended / other wheel studs have a shoulder at the base of the thread that prevents the wheel nut from screwing down on the wheel insert properly.

The caterham supplied 40mm ones dont have this shoulder and the thread extends the full length of the stud.

I bought a set from rally design and found this problem. Then i bought a set from Caterham 😶‍🌫️

hope this prevenmts you from wasting money *wavey*

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al