Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust Heat Shield wrap

Sean McKeown

Sean

You may not need the wrap as a cure for your problem (although you can get from Europa - 01283 815 609 - You will need 50 feet roll of 1 inch wrap for a K series manifold. Cost is £32.43).

I will be posting a solution tomorrow assuming that the modification passes the test tonight - Watch this space.

Paul R.

Paul R.

C7PPR

I have recently had the same problem develop again, it stopped in the winter!, i have a fabric heat shield on the starter and this apears to have cured the problem at the moment, i bought it from DT at £38 but only needed 1/2 of what was in the kit! as i have only used it as a shield and not wraped the starter in it. Cat Midlands advised me that they have seen paint damage on cars with Exhaust wrap on, which is why I went for the option of wraping the starter.

other options suggested by them was a wiring fix, not sure of the details but aparently 90% effective, or a £200 starter :(

I've had Cool Tec exhaust wrap on the big bore manifold of my xflow for a couple of years now and highly recommend it. I bought the stuff in the first place because the wife was complaining about hot feet and the insulator on the wires to the alternator was melting. The whole cockpit is cooler, as are the alternator and starter motor and I haven't had to rejet the carbs. The wrap has held up well and I've had no paint damage at all. I recommend taking off the manifold tubes to apply it properly, wetting the wrap as per instructions and using the special spray paint, which you have to buy separately, but which seems to aid longevity. I got it from DT for about £30 I think, plus a tenner for the spray or thereabouts.

Guillaume

• Leadership Team

I wrapped mine a couple of years ago and not had any problems with manifold or paintwork. It took 60' of 1" CoolTec wrap, and I wrapped right up to the ali panel - in fact on a couple of the pipes it's possible to see the wrap just appearing through the body hole - maybe the excess heat is disipated well outside the bodywork?. It's a K-series with a 4-1 manifold. Best wrapped with the pipes off to do a good job.

I also wrapped the starter with an "alternator kit", a sort of fireproof silver covered sheet. This has helped the starter a little but it still fails regularly. Having said it fails, it clicks repeatedly then eventually works. I used to travel around with a hammer to hit it with when it failed (aggression always works a treat)but now I have enough confidence in the starter to just keep it clicking until it fires. Hasn't actually let me down yet.......

I also used to regularly dismantle the starter and clean the solenoid piston - this definately improves the problem but only short term.

Stu.