Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Shopping list for headgasket change + change to 1.8 head?

Fishy Dave

Hello,

As I have a tiny oil leak from the head seeping onto the manifold I am going to have the head gasket changed.

Does anyone have a list of all the parts I would need? Presumably, head gasket, new bolts, cam belt....?

Also, whilst the head is off I was going to have verniers fitted, is their anything else worth changing? I want to stick to the 1.4 block (so no-one mention a 1.8 conversion!), however, is their any advantage to changing my old low port head with solid lifters for a 1.8 head with hydraulic?

Thanks, Dave *smile*

David Smitheram, Wiltshire (South) AR, 07718 368173.

1400 supersport ex racer

Edited by - Fishy Dave on 17 Jan 2009 16:08:55

As I have a tiny oil leak from the head seeping onto the manifold I am going to have the head gasket changed.

eh ? *confused*

are you sure you are doing the right thing there ?

the verniers can be changed with the head in situ ..

dotn lift the head unless you have to Dave 😔

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

Hmm, I think I'll take a pic and post on here first then. Apologies I haven't given you a call yet Dave after you kindly gave me your number. *thumbup*

The oil leak first started after the car got VERY hot at the Nurburgring last May time. It seems to be seeping out behind the water rail, and works its way down onto the number two primary from memory, causing a nice puff of smoke out of the bonnet vents on the left side. It only really happens when hot, presumably because the oil is at its most fluid? No oil has got into the water or water into the oil.

Any ideas if not the head gasket?

1400 supersport ex racer

Thanks, I'd taken a look on Daves site before, Steve (BOSS - the previous owner) had said it was a low port head.

So, how can I tell if it's a cam carrier leak without dismantling loads of bits? *smile*

Assuming it is this (fingers crossed), which bits should I purchase?

1400 supersport ex racer

Give everything a good wipe clean then go for a blat. Afterwards lift the bonnet and see exactly where the oil is comming from. Take a snap and post a link to the image if you're having problems naming the part/position.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I feel a bit stupid now, having seen where the head gasket is on the engine (I really should know better). Good news is that it's the cam carrier gasket, as established by the workshop foreman here as well as my own eyes.

So, apart from the gasket, is their anything else I should be changing and checking whilst doing this job? Any other seals?

Thanks, Dave

1400 supersport ex racer

Cam carrier gasket or cam cover gasket?

The cam carrier uses a sealant rather than a gasket and if this needs re-doing then you will need new camshaft oil seals too. If you are doing this then you will need a cam locking tool and it might be worth considering changing the cam belt.

On the other hand, if it is the cam cover gasket then this is easy-peasy. It's a coated steel gasket which is normally re-usabe but check that the coating is intact as this was the cause of a very similar sounding leak on my engine.