Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

7" rears?

Adrian Williams

Nearly time for a change of tyre from 021R to 032R, I was also thinking of changing wheels to black centres with polished rims. Is there another source of original equipment wheels other than Caterham?

Also I notice they now do a 7” rim for the rear presumably for use with a 205/215 section tyre, anyone tried this combination? I suspect that with a standard 1600 supersport there isn’t enough power to warrant the additional rubber and too much grip at the rear will ruin the current balance.

I'm in a very similar situation Adrian, though with a 1.8ss engine.

I suspect the opinion will be that 7 inch at the rear is overkill and could upset the balance also - but I don't consider myself sufficiently well informed!

Keen to hear other opinions though....

Both Kiwi and I use 8.5*13" rears with either CR500 205s or A032r 215s (175 or 185 fronts on 6.5" rims resp). I think my car handles really well and Kiwi doesn't have any complaints either (not that I've heard anyway) others have commented on the good balance of my car so its not just me. I'm not sure whether the width of the tyre is very well utilised but they look great. Kiwi has a 1.8SS and I have a 1.8 165 VVC.

Cheers

Bob

I ran 7x13 rears with 205/60 032's on my 1.6SS and was v. happy with the balance and grip. You could argue that you don't need them with that sort of power and you may not notice a big improvement (due to the wheels alone), but I doubt very much that you'll make it handle worse..... If you up the power as I have done now then they come in to their own. I use Ultralite split rims from Superlite - there is a thread currently about a bulk purchase of these. I would recommend them and they also do a nice one piece as well if you prefer that.

Adrian - your 21's looked like they had loads of wear left on them on saturday?

you hoping the 32's will give you an extra 1s wink.gif

rob

Ps I have just gone for a set of the ultralites with 7's at the rear based on a recommendation

don't forget people: the R500 mag wheels are modular/split rims, and the supplier can have rims manufactured in any size. My plan is to get some 6x13 fronts and 7x13 rears for my SL (when I can afford them in years to come), for now the my black minilights in these sizes with Yoko 032rs will suffice.

Rob,

Don't forget I need to loose my screen, spend a few hundred quid on carbon fibre and go on a diet before our cars are even.

Left hand side 90% worn, right hand side 75% worn, track day at Oulton plus trip there and back next Friday will probably leave the left hand side u.s.

Let me know how you get on with the 7" rears.

I've just bought a pair of 7" R500 wheels direct from the manufacturer (Mike Barnby - can't remember the number off hand - shout if you want it though). They're 172 each plus 4.40 postage and VAT. Caterham want 230-40 plus VAT. 6" are about 170 i think.

Dave Hooper - dmch2@lineone.net

I've also heard of a place doing an almost identical copy of the R500 mag split rim but with alloy centres at half the price of the mag ones. I'd be interested in a set of those in 6" & 7" widths, with powder-coated black centres. If anyone spots the supplier (or knows if M Barnby can manufacture alloy centred ones) them drop me a line.

Thanks

Matthew ms81@cant.ac.uk