Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Pads - serial number for new 4 pots?

Steve Day

Hi - I have a query - bought new 4 pot front calipers from Caterham in December.

I want to change the pads but am having real difficulties getting the right ones.

Apparently Caterham are now supplying a revised caliper so the pads are NOT the older style (crescent shaped) they are oblong with two locating pin holes in the top.

Caterham advise that the supplied AP part number is: CP 7600 D46120

Q: does anyone know what the Green Stuff equivalent is (or another part number) - I wanted to fit the Ferrodo pads but cannot tell what to order

cheers

[dumb question mode]Have you taken out the old pads?[/dumb question mode] Just checking.

Four pot calipers need a long pad. A long pad means it runs a long way around the circumference of the disk meaning that they need to be crescent shaped. The twin pots at the rear are oblong, retained by two pins.

The best bet is to whip out the old pads, trace around the back plate and fax the pattern to the brake pad supplier - john freeth at Monmouth performance braking is brilliant.

Peterid=teal>

253 BHP K-seriesteeth.gif, no gearboxbum.gifid=red>

Hi Peter, thanks and it's not a dumb question at all!

Yes, I have but don't have them to hand at present. You are right that the 'older' / previous 4 pot caliper has the longer pad, however, the new pad is a different shape.

It has the two locating pin holes. Caterham have said that they do not have any variants to the supplied pads at present, which is a bit of a pain in the @rse.

I wasn't sure if anyone else had come across this problem and if they have a solution?

cheers

Steve

Steve,

Interesting timing on this post, I was just about to upgrade to 4pots on the front.

I've done a bit of digging, AP Racing belive that Mintex have the pads available in 1142, 1144, 1155 and FR4 (all new!) compounds.

They recommended Questmead as a source, chatting to them they don't have them in stock and haven't seen any since the end of May. At that point they had some 1155's which have gone now. John at Questmead is currently digging around to see if he can find any more from somewhere. I'll let you know what I find out.

In the mean time the Mintex part number is (in theory) MDB2027-M11?? depending on compound.

At the moment there is no news on other manufacturers making them.

Hope this helps, if I manage to find some uprated pads I'm going to hopefully get the new calipers next week!!

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 27 Jun 2002 14:04:17

1142 is the standard compound Caterham supply

1144 is fast road

1155 is race

In theory.. there is also FR4 which is even better but a) much more expensive (read double the price) and b) not available in the right pad design yet. Pagid do another range of compounds which by the sounds of it are even better but it doesn't look like they make the right pad design yet. Hopefully soon!!

If anyone's interested I've put some pictures of the new pad design and calipers up here

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Rob G - perhaps you should make it clear that "Brake Pad Rear" is a view of a FRONT brake pad from the back of the pad and not the brake pad from the rear calipers, or is just me???

Shame the new caliper takes different pads from the old silver coloured AP racing 4 pot front caliper as that used the CP2340 pad and everyone and his dog makes pads for that caliper. Oh and I've got a load of second hand part worn pads in various different flavours that I was hoping to flog, my target market has just fallen by about 90%....