Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What size CR500's???

Bob Corb

I'm currently running Yoko A032rs on my Superlight VVC which I'm reasonably happy with. I'd like to try CR500s next as the rear Yokos are worn out after 3500 miles. The problem is that the VVC lump sits v low in the chassis and at the moment has 65mm clearance under the sump althought the body isn't that low. The present 186/60/13 front tyres are quite tall which means I can just run with the front wishbones parallel to the ground and the handling is lovely. If I were to put 175/55/13 CR500s on the sump would be just ~50mm off the ground which is too low and I dont want to jack the suspension up. I see that they do a 195/55/13 which has a larger diameter which would be spot on. Has anyone ever tried these?? Are there any ACB10s which would work, I cant find any with large diameter in the narrow front fittings??

I've heard a rumour that there is to be another version of the R300 with the VVC engine, this would have the new 15" wheels which conveiniently gets around this problem...

Cheers

BC

Bob, you could try packing the engine mouts a little to raise the height of the engine in the engine bay. I'm not sure what the highest point of your engine is. With mine, it's the dry sump conning tower and there's not a lot of room above it, but that's quite a bit clear of the next highest point which means you should have quite a bit spare.

Cheers Nigel

Shims may help by a few mm's (but not many). The highest point on the VVC is either the outer edge of the plenum or the MAP sensor. Everyting helps I suppose. I wonder if it would be possible to heat the manifold and bend it down by 20mm??? I could fit a std engine mount then.

I'll have to ring BMTR and see if they keep these 195/55/13s and how much they are.

BC