Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA bar petty strut bolt sizes

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Does anyone know what size bolts and nuts are needed to attach the petty strut to a single diagonal FIA bar?

I need the top bolt plus nut, the bolt which goes into the bush at the front of the cockpit and the nut and bolt to join the 2 halves of the petty strut.

Caterham have sent me 3 bolts, one nut and a load of washers. There are 2 bolts the same size (7/16 by 2.75 inches) and 1 bolt (1/2 by 2.5 inches). The 1/2" bolt doesn't fit through any of the 3 holes in the petty strut. The 7/16 bolts do fit but are of variable fit lengthwise.

Help please before I call Caterham!

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

From the build manual:

The forward end of the Petty strut is secured to a mounting boss located within the chassis that is normally hidden behind the interior trim panel. It can be found in the passenger side of the cockpit approximately one inch below the point at which the dashboard tube is welded to the top of the chassis rail.

If a 7/16" hole is not visible, drill out the six 5/32" rivets holding the top edge of the trim panel surrounding this point and ease the trim panel away from the chassis until the exact location of the mounting boss is identified.

Drill a small pilot hole through the trim panel taking great care not to touch the outer side skin and enlarge such that a 7/16" bolt can be fitted through. Ensure that the inner thread in the mounting boss is not damaged during this process. Loosely fit bolt (fastener pack ZPS01 Item 2) and secure the trim panel with rivets.

Remove bolt (2). Secure the Petty strut to the roll over bar, using bolts (1), with plain washers (4), under the head of the bolts. Pass the bolts through the plate on the Petty bar then rearwards through the fixing holes in the centre of the main hoop, secure with plain washers (4) and nyloc nuts (3).

Attach the forward end of the Petty strut to the previously uncovered boss using bolt (2) passed through spring washer (6), plain washer (5) then the fixing plate at the forward end of the bar. It may be necessary to use the additional plain washer(s) (5) between the front fixing plate and the side of the chassis to achieve the best fit.

Tighten additional roll over bar mounting bolts in accordance with Table 1.

TABLE 1 TRACK DAY ROLL OVER BAR

MOUNTING BOLT TORQUE FIGURES

Location Torque

Base of the bucket bushes 20 Nm

Mounting flange 5/16" UNF 20 Nm

Rear diagonals 5/16" UNF 20 Nm

Petty bar (all fixings) 47 Nm

I think I have my FIA bar fixings kit paperwork somewhere if you think that might help; I fitted the roll bar but not the petty strut....

Edited by - jingars on 12 Jan 2009 13:23:37

• Support Team

Thanks for that.

Having spoken to Caterham, it turns out that the fixings are correct but I was missing a nylock for one of the bolts.

For reference, the 2 off 7/16" by 2.75" bolts are for top and bottom and the 1/2" by 2.5" is to join the 2 parts of the petty strut together - in my case I will need to enlarge the hole slightly. I now need to source a 7/16" UNF nylock for the top mounting.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

• 4 weeks later...

i got my petty strut through yesterday, live axle.

I asked CC for the relevant nuts and bolts and have a bag full of all sorts!

what i didnt ask for was washers. what do i need, and where do they go in the sequence of bolt, bar, nut, and bolt, bar, car?

anyone got pictures of a petty strut attaching to the chassis, the hole is visible, looks like it has been used for petty strut before (academy car), just not convinced how its supposed to attach!

Cheers, Andy

1999 VX1600 Classic - andysteele.net - picasa albums - driving in marigolds