Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tired idiot breaks car's electrics.- - FIXED!

Dyrill

Well done on fixing the problem!

Tell me though, why is it so important to connect the positive lead first when reconnecting the battery?
If you connect the earth 1st & then the positive you may touch something else with the spanner when doing up the connection. Result is massive spark which not only damages the battery but may cause damage to other sensitive electronics such as the ECU. Spark may also ignite fuel vapours! *eek*

Connecting the earth last means it doesn't matter what the spanner touches.........So long as it's not the positive terminal!. *idea*Tip: always make sure there is a plastic cover on the positive terminal!

Well one Darren glad you decided to remove the abortion and go back to std

Auto wiring is something that should only be attempted by someone who has a modicum of knowledge, as it's so easy to make a complete balls up and leave the next owner with a nightmare 😬 Cut and shunt Scotch locks sticky tape and bad crimping are all to plentiful unfortunately.... OTOH a neat well thought out job is an absolute joy.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Auto wiring is something that should only be attempted by someone who has a modicum of knowledge, as it's so easy to make a complete balls up and leave the next owner with a nightmare

We had a young gentleman on the tech support phone yesterday who had bought a new car radio from us and was fitting it into his mum's Corsa. He'd had one call with one member of staff and I ended up with a second call from him. I went through everything in a really methodical way and I just couldn't understand why the hell the radio wasn't working.....

.....then it hit me *idea*

..."You have pressed the 'ON' button haven't you?"

(Phone goes quiet)

(I hear music start to play in the background)

*redface* FFS - sometimes it's the silliest things 😬