Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Clutch cable

gwiddicombe

My car has been on the road since the end of July 08 and has covered about 4500 miles. The clutch cable snapped today, resulting in me having to call out the AA *cry* The AA chap fixed the cable with a grub screw, but I need to get it replaced with a proper item. Can someone point me in the direction of where to get one from, or is the Caterham one the best one to get?

I'm not sure why the cable snapped, but it failed at the pedal end, right by the cable eye. Last time I checked it (a couple of months ago) there was 'play' in the eye which meant I could move it easily. However, today the AA guy had to forcibly prise the eye out with a pair of pliers/pinchers, which I'm guessing is what caused it snap.

My Caterham Build Diary available here

Cable eye went on mine even though loose. Symptoms are a creaking sound from the pedal box. I've also had one go at the other end due to over-vigourous use of the clutch pedal.

CC have post free at the moment, and I hope they have 2 in stock, becuase i'm about to order the very same beasty... I've tried motor factors for this, and no-one has anything even resembling it. It's the only clutch cable I've even seen with adjustment at both ends.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

You want the eye to turn freely on the pin, and be sure that the cable pulls in a straight line in the pedal box. Also consider fitting a stop to prevent you pushing pedal too far - basically a long bolt/stud into the wall of the pedal box, adjusted so the pedal hits it at the require point and can go no further.

• Area Representative

Order another - and carry as a spare. Also order a spare throttle cable.

They are both notorious for breaking and it will save a lot of heartache.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

You want the eye to turn freely on the pin
Good advice. It's also worth checking that the threaded portion of the cable outer doesn't protrude too far into the pedal box.

In the words of the Assembly Guide:

Set the pedal box end so that a minimum length of outer cable protrudes past the locating bush into the pedal box then adjust at the bell-housing end until a satisfactory clutch pedal position is achieved (4 threads showing through the yellow bush is a good starting point).

JV

I think Jon has got the source of most failures, above.

My cable is 14 years old with 51,000 miles on it.

See you around, Graydon.

I was up on the moor today in the 7, minus 3.5 degrees (not counting windchill)

MY BLAT-O-METER

2009: 1

2008: 76

2007: 70

2006: 89

2005: 91

2004: 64

2003: 66

2002: 66

2001: 79

2000: 32 (divorce!)

1999: NRA

• Area Representative

Ian

Glad you finally managed to get the cable for Sven. It just goes to show that even if you are a mechanical numpty it's still worth carrying spare cables. If you've got the bits there's always someone to fix it even if it's the Rescue Services. 😬

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

My first clutch cable, after i bought my car lasted 3yrs, it broke and i replaced it i went through 4 in rapid succession,the problem was missalignment in the pedal box as i pushed the pedal it put a slight bend on the cable, i fixed it by putting a bend in the rod end so the bend only occurs at the extreme pedal compression.its far from an ideal fix.The rose joint end was allways free to move and i thought initially it was cheap cables because my first was cable was thicker than the new ones i bought all Caterham cables though.

My clutch cable is 11 years old and ~20000 miles used. I think HPC VX have less clutch cable issues than Xflows and K series though.

I always give the cable/sheath a few drops of light oil when I have the pedal box cover off for routine inspections - perhaps this is a contributing factor.

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here