Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

First fill of gearbox

CJS

Feeling quite chuffed as I managed to fit my engine today and didn't swear that much at all.

Anyway, having read about what a pain it is to fill the gearbox with oil, before I fit the gear lever, is there anything wrong with me filling it through the hole where it (the selector) will eventually sit in? (I assume it all leads to the same chamber or am I plain wrong?)

Thanks

Chris

Plain wrong. I seem to remember more than one or two amusing stories about people trying just that 😬

The hassle is more to do with getting to the drain/fill plug than actually filling it.

Might be worth drilling a hole in the pax footwell as I did here

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Best long term solution( probably no help as you've already fitted the gearbox ) is to ask BGH Geartec to fit their bespoke lid with a filler/dipstick and to fit an oil drain in the underside of the tail housing. Makes future draining and refilling a 10min job *smile*

Malcolm

Edited by - Englishmaninwales on 3 Jan 2009 18:22:15

Possibly not readily available in your neck of the woods but I use a length of 15mm copper tube with a 'yorkshire' 90deg elbow on the gearbox filler end and a polythene funnel on the other. With the cover off the tunnel and the plug out of the box I slot the tube down from inside the cockpit and hook the elbow into the filler hole. Put a margarine tub or similar underneath and when the oil starts to overflow, its full.