Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow clutch spigot bearing

alextangent

Now I'm down to the spigot bearing on the xflow, and I've read a few threads on how to remove this thing; most seem to recommend just hacking it out? The hydraulic method seems to be not that simple, or work. I did read somewhere on bc (I think) but can't find the link, that someone used an expanding metal wall rawlplug thingy to grip it and then drew it out that way? Anyoine got any suggestions?

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

If you have a barrel style clutch alighning tool then use this, simply fill the bearing aperture with grease make sure there are no air pockets in there.

Next tap very hard and quick with a mallet or hammer whichever is your particular choice of Birmingham screwdriver, this will force out the bearing using hydraulics.............simple really has never failed me. *thumbup*

If you do not have that style of alighning tool then you can use a socket or a drift of that size. *thumbup*

Slide hammer,

a long while ago and not on a se7en but I borrowed one from a local garage for a few hours and its the right tool for the job. Thinking about it and it was 25 years ago and a Vauxhall main dealer 😬. Worth a try if you can find someone that has one.

Andy

Lardy Aztec Orange 'n' Black

Found another method;

It involved 1 x 13mm bolt head, slid into the bearing so that the bolt head could sit behind the bearing. This was held in place using a suitably sized stick, sourced from the garden. I then put an RA23 steering box mounting hole over the other end of the bolt, so that is was free to slide. I put two nuts, locked together on the threaded end of the bolt and pulled, a la slide hammer. Worked first time:D The most difficult part was finding a stick of the right diameter and mechanical properties.

That might be modifiable. Plus, this method using wet newspaper

I used the wet paper method where you stuff wet paper into the center of the bearing and hit a suitable sized bolt into the middle of it with a hammer.

but that bearing as a very large surface area; the xflow bearing is no more than 2-3mm deep, with a very small surface area.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Don't forget to put the new one in the right way round. One end has a nylon seal to keep the grease in and this needs to go the rear of the bearing when installed (to clarify this, once installed, the seal should be the first thing you see when you look at the bearing, then come the rollers. If you get it the wrong way round all the grease will just run out and your bearing life will be short indeed.

Thanks. *thumbup*

Still to get it out though; the bolt method didn't work as planned (kept popping out). A bigger bolt is called for I think, perhaps ground down on one side a bit to let the stick pass into the space behind and keep the bolthead in position.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Nope, that didn't work. 🙆🏻

The roller bearings are out now, but the spigot is made of some rocket titanium nose cone material. Hacksaw blade won't touch it.

Next route is a wall rawl plug and a slide hammer. Local garage doesn't have a blind bearing extractor to borrow either, so if the wall plug fails, then it's dig deep in pocket time for the real mccoy 😔

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Bluddy right I'm not. Garage is freezing, it's below -1degC out there, and couldn't even get the propshaft out either as my jack has decided to bleed fluid over the garage floor. No, not a bulk buy, 25 years old, but why now? Barsteward. 😔 😔

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

Dremel is your friend here… used full speed with one if the small grinding wheels, grind through the bearing outer shell until it’s very thin and then use a small chisel to break it out… I actually have an old screw drive blade I use for this (I used to do loads of engines years ago)

Unlike Peter I have NEVER managed to get a needle roller bearing out with the grease and mandrel method. I have done it with the bronze type bearing but only if it was lose anyway. If they were tight I used to tap it out which is easy as its soft material, then drop a ball bearing in the hole and tighten a bolt in the new thread.

Be careful putting the new one in… I have seen them damaged by using a first motion shaft as a mandrel to knock them in. The radius on the shaft damages the bearing. I used to make a mandrel in the lathe with a nice 90 degree sharp shoulder for the purpose.

I love my Elise!

Thanks, I'll try that. And for advice on knocking the new one in; I see what you mean about the shoulder on the 1st motion shaft. I am going to freeze the wee bu66er and heat the flywheel with a blowlamp, add wd40 then use the back end of a socket to drive it in.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...