Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series Fuel Pump

Pendennis

I have a Superlight R that is having a Duratec transformation, but wish to utilise the existing internal type fuel pump/tank arrangement, but need fuel at the injectors at 3.8bar (56psig).

Accordinging to the Caterham website, this internal type fuel pump (part number 93151990) states, 'for faster pump rate fit a modified inner' *rolleyes*

Does anyone know what this modification is and whether it can be visually identified *confused*

Also, would anyone know what the fuel rate on the uprated version is *confused*

Cheers *thumbup*

Ian

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

Edited by - Pendennis on 2 Jan 2009 17:39:58

Yep JPE/R500 pump = Rover 220 turbo Tomcat fuel pump

27gm/s, versus 19gm/s for the stock (Caterham) K-series pump.

I made sure mine could deliver 4 bar pressure with all the injectors fully open...

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here

Thanks for replies *thumbup*

Mic, I have my pump here in my hand, but cannot see a bulge *eek* *tongue*

If this pump was installed within the tank, would this bulge be inside the or external of the fuel tank *confused*

cheers

Looks like the uprated pump is also available at good 'ol Merlin Motorsport. OEM fitment to the Landrover 4.2 if you've got one doing nothing on the drive 😬

£77 exc

The code on the inner part will be definitive Ian, but I'd imagine if you had an original VHPD-equipped SLR, you'd have that pump you linked to, with one of these fitted inside by CC.

You could always do a measurement test at a given pressure I suppose, if you wanted to be sure, comparing them with Steve's or Luke's specs in the BC link

Without wishing to hijack this topic too much, I'm planning to monitor my fuel pressure electronically as I have a spare channel on the dash display. I was going to use a 0-7bar oil pressure gauge installed in the spare port on the regulator. Can anyone see any reason why an oil pressure gauge couldn't be re-used as a fuel pressure one?

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Duratec/SuperlightR hybrid

Edited by - k80rum on 3 Jan 2009 16:50:18

Mines 6443327 and does not have a bulge, which is a surprise considering it's a VHPD SLR *confused*

Thanks for help and you Mic for your email.

Looks like another item to go on the for sale board then 😬

Now I have got to decide whether to go for the uprated one at Merlin Motorsport or go conventional with an auxillary external pump and swirl pot which is what I think I shall do. Can I ditch the MFU if I do not use this internal type pump *confused*

Darren, monitoring the fuel pressure is a good idea and I cannot see any reason why the oil guage should not do what you want it to do, after all there designed to monitor fluid, so I would have no hesitation in doing that.

Edited by - Pendennis on 3 Jan 2009 17:36:07

Edited by - Pendennis on 3 Jan 2009 17:40:30

External would give you more flexibility I'd have thought. *thumbup*

MFRU contains 4 relays which on the K implementation do a number of things - one is the lambda heater, one is the starter relay, one is the main power (injectors, etc) and one is the fuel pump circuit. You could certainly ditch it if you've outsourced the other functions to something else but I'd imagine it's still responsible for a few things..

If you're doing work in the fuel pump area, you could do worse than look at the wiring to it and the inertia switch - there's a fairt bit of high-current circuitry that can be improved on. I've just done this myself (although time will tell whether it all works when I start the engine 😬)

PeterC has some made very useful comments on the circuitry in past posts *thumbup*

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Duratec/SuperlightR hybrid

Darren, depends on the ECU I suppose. I have the Webcon version, which feeds the fuel pump/s, injectors and I have no inertia switch and even if I did, I'd throw it 😬

So, looks like the MRFU is up for sale as well 😬

Edited by - Pendennis on 3 Jan 2009 18:37:46

• 3 months later...

I've got this pump from Merlin Motorsport as mentioned in this thread. But the pump does not have the 6443228 on it, but has 27298-2b pat no. 4500270. It is not the same as the standard pump and requires the wires swapping.

Anyone know if this is the right part I have been given *confused*

Just checked and this pump actually discharged 1620grammes for 1 minute duration. I.E. 27g/s *thumbup*

Wish someone told me the polarity needs reversing though *mad*

I go and lay down now *redface*

Edited by - Pendennis on 24 Apr 2009 21:01:13