Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Floors giving way

Graham Sewell

I am hearing rumours, on an alternate list, that the floors of some (possible 1999) cars are giving way and the rivets are shearing. I haven't found out whether this is that the seats are breaking away or the transmission tunnel. This rumour extends to James Whiting having seen the problem - the solution apparently is to use larger rivets - but where?

Does anyone have further info on this, as much so that I know what I am looking for if I start to dig around my own car (1995 Live Axle).

Cheers,

Graham

I heard it was a problem with the way the S type seats are being fitted. When I had mine fitted to my 91 live Axle, James Whiting made some strenghening bars that run the length of the copit. The seats were then bolted through. As opposed to the Caterham solution of riveting angle iron. Apparently, the flexing of the floor pan, causes the rivets to buckle.

Robert

Mike Kirkham, from Norfolk reported a similar problem with his Superlight 1.6.

He was told that it was due to the rivet spec, there are 2 types used on the Seven chassis, and one is much stronger than the other. Caterham did the repair for him and he has had no further problems since.