Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

6 speed a bit stubborn into 3rd

Alex Wong1697456877

My relatively new and not much used 6 speed is fine on the road, but on track, it can be tough to get it into third. If you relax and are gentle, it will go in but if you try and slot it in quickly, it resists and is stubborn. ( *eek*) Any advice? Is this a lube problem or will it settle with repeated use? *redface*

VDU 7X Pics

More VDU 7X Pics

I never had mine running well on the change to 3rd. Famously I missed it on the run out of Fradley hairpin in August 2002, coasting for a second before getting the gear and losing the class 5 win by 3 hundredths to Dave Kimberley. I'm not bitter.

My box ran on MTL. Although many others ascribe miracles to MTL, I have heard Phil S praise a cheapy Shell oil (discontinued) amongst others. I'd be tempted to try a swap to Mobil GL4 on the off chance that a cheap change fixes it.

Alex I always had difficulty "under pressure" with that change. Always lost one run at an event at Llandow out of Devils elbow.

It was one of the reasons for changing to the Elite box. I now don't waste a run!

Adrian Williams also did a lot of 2nd to 5th this year!

So it would seem to be an awkward shift.

its better if you upgrade to the stronger 3/5th gear spring, then sweeping across the box from 2nd > 3rd is aided by the resisitance of the spring.

I changed to the Caterham brand gearbox oil last season. The box is a little stiffer when cold but I had a bad experience on MTL requiring a rebuild.

here is C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al