Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Cant stop dry sump gasket from leaking?

Sandy

Car is an 01 SLR

Had the engine out last year and the sump gasket on passenger side leaked afterwards.

So, dropped sump, replaced gasket, heli coiled a few threaded bolts

Oil leak is just as bad - if not worse?

everything was dry yesterday before a 50 mile blat and now the passenger side sump gasket is covered in oil and its pooled and dripping from 3 places so not an insignificant leak!

Anyone recommend what I should do next?

Replace the sump?

Have this one skimmed (have they been known to warp?)

If I were to get my current sump checked, where can I take it or send it off to?

Sandy

Rather than send off to be checked, you could clean everything up and assess wgether the pan is sitting flat against the block or whether it rocks or has gaps.

You might also consider sealing the pan with rtv sump sealer as this, when applied to thoroughly degreased surfaces, forms a highly oil-tight seal. (there will be some on here who don't agree with this as there is a risk, if applied excessively, that globs can get inside the engine)

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Not having removed my K dry sump, I took it that a gasket was specified as per original post.

I have built many engines now (even old designs) where oil sealing gaskets have been eliminated with good results.

Sump sealer is the way to go.

P

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

I have had over 50 CC dry sump engines apart and have never seen one with a gasket. They are usually carelessly sealed with excessive volumes of RTV. The correct sealant to use is Loctite 574, not because of paranoia, but because of the very real danger of the oil pickup being clogged up with excessive RTV sealant, I have seen this on a number of occassions and the result is big-end failure.

Oily