Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series spare engine ideas

David Lynch

Right I'm lucky having got a 1.4SS in the car, a 1.6SS waiting for the car and a project in form of 1.6 (not SS, no ancillaries) in labelled bags and boxes.

I'm thinking the 1.6 in bits will be a good educational project but have no experience of engine building 😔. I have the K Series overhaul manual, can follow instructions, and will only use high quality parts (Oily, I will be in touch *wavey*).

I want this to be a good spare AND a cheap(ish) upgrade

Firstly anyone got a shopping list for a full K rebuild? I definitely need to know best head gasket, and what should be ditched as matter of course. Every item is tagged with location, but having bought it already stripped I'm aware there are pitfalls and potential for error. I already have most gaskets (excluding head) and genuine head bolts.

Cylinder Head

So, my thoughts as minimum head will need new Cams, OR those from the 1.4 (if OK), OR 1.4SS head gets dropped straight on.

Then there's the thought what could be acheived by Oily with quick and dirty port and the right cams/followers. (1.6 head is a good casting and I have the large 1.4 alloy TB and inlet manifold).

Short engine

I'm targetting 170bhp with a change to Emerald unless 1.6 SS EU2 is good enough. So I aim to build short engine without upgrade to steel internals unless bargains appear. or is this short sighted upgraditis 😬

I'm aware of modifications required to fit a non Caterham K from Stu's site and have luxury of the 1.6SS to copy. I do aim to find a good lightweight flywheel.

........or should I start again with a 1.8 😬

Your ideas, guidance and abuse (fit a Duratec I hear you cry) will be greatfully received and pondered over coming weeks. Basically I will only be happy if I do this once and right.

Cheers and Seasoned Gratings *tongue*,

David

EN Yorks 7's