Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

SBD Carbon Can

ian balson

Hi All,

Is anyone running an SBD Carbon can. I notice on the SBD www they say that "It is not capable of sustaining internal explosions and backfires." Does this mean it won't be able to handle the normal pops and bangs associated with running carbs? Or are we talking about real "shotgun" loud backfires?

Thanks

Ian

I believe Blatman has an SBD carbon can albeit running with TB's, so none of the usual carb. induced backfiring, which still looked fine when I saw it last week.

Don't SBD sell one with a stainless steel inner lining now in order to prevent it from blowing itself apart. When I spoke to them a few months ago thay recommended this for road/occasional track use.

Brent

I am running the SBD carbon can. Done 1600 miles now and no expolsions yet but I do have plenty of popping and banging. The main danger comes from not keeping the packing in good order.

If you are worried, they do an inner s/s sleeve but that does rather defeat the object of the carbon.

Pic's available if you wish.

Steve Mell

PTM 88

I do indeed run a carbon SBD "can" (oxymorons, I love 'em......). It IS the "normal" carb type pops and bangs that the can doesn't like. The stainless sleeve is a heavy and self defeating option (if you'd wanted a stainless silencer, you'd have bought one, right.....), so why not try lining the silencer with heatproof sleeve, like wot you find wrapped around turbo's and such likequestion.gif I know two people who have done this, and report an inprovement (ie less new) in discolouration, and it should help with the small (back) fires etc in the silencer. As already mentioned, make sure the silencing material is in good condition too.

Disclaimer. If the fire sleeve don't work, don't blame me, but I will be modifying mine in the same way, despite there being NO backfiring risk.............

They are crap.

I have sold loads of CCC outer covers to SBD customers whose cans failed.

Sadly I have none left.

Pops, bangs and explosions will occur on TB's as well especially if you have wild cams.

AVES recently had a can made by Hayward and Scott in Basildon off my old jigs designed to specifically fit a Caterham as a direct replacment for the std silencer.

Hayward and Scott will make a stainless or ally (I think) can. If enough people want carbon cans I can retool for the outer covers and set up a run.

The Hayward and Scott stainless can was sold to Mr Aves for £275 + VAT - looks like the SBD product, but is higher grade stainless and nice rolled edges and brackets are already fitted unlike SBD and Techcrfaft products.

See AVES post at:

http://www.blatchat.com/Topic.asp? topic_id=16064&forum_id=8&Topic_Title=Want+a+new+exhaust%3F&forum_title=TechTalk

They will also make cat replacment pipes for R500's for rather less than the £250 CC want!

They can be contacted on 01268 727256

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Didn't Caterham can the carbon can (or was that Suzie Quattro?) on the R500 because of longevity issues - i.e. they were getting burnt and ragged in short order.

I think they look the nuts, but I picked one up once and it was all bendy in the middle. Not sure if they're all like this but I suspect they might be to get the cf into the right shape.

I just bought a slightly second-hand SBD can. It has two smallish spots of brownish disclouration. Before I go on using it I will most likely re-pack it (what's the best place to get the long-fibre packing material?) and take care of the heat/blowing issue.

I was thinking along the lines of wrapping the packing material with 2-3 layers of best quality household aluminium foil.

Would that make sense and improve the situation ??

Furthermore, I have talked to local bike exhaust peeps, but they can't make the 2.5" - 2.75" connector tube I need. (4-1 ending @ 2.5", the SBD can having a 2.75" entry)

Is such a tube readily available, where can I obtain the respective materials (stainless tubing ín both sizes + 2.5"-2.75" adaptor) and what us the angle between silencer and header/collector, normally ?

Also: does anyone know or have pictures of how the can is fitted on the Caterham? The bracketry and rubber thingy on its rear end, where it's fitted to the chassis, pelase.

Cheers ! - Karsten

Arnie,

What do you mean "brackets that are already fitted".

For those people who don't know your history with SBD, I think you should declare your bias when proclaiming their product as "crap".

Strictly speaking it is not their product anyway. It is made by one of the most respected exhaust manufacturers in the business (BTB).

Steve Mell

PTM 88

Steve - he means that the H&S system is made on a jig to fit as a direct replacement to the Caterham "Competition" system with the back bracket already welded to the tail pipe.

Undo the front clamp, undo the back mounting, slide off the old system, slide on the new, do up bracket & clamp - done.

I looked at others. Both SBD (Which seems to be designed for a Westfield but I may be wrong) & Techcraft needed extra custom pipework and brackets and so cost and hassle.

I have no connection with H&S & they certainly don't try to "sell" the product to you. They just get on & do it.

Has Arnie got a history with SBD then ? wink.gif

Karstens posting sums up what I was trying to avoid. I've never consciously encountered an SBD system except Marius' (I think) so can't comment on quality.

Edited by - AVES on 24 Jun 2002 16:05:54

Mat,

I can only think you and Arn may referring to an older version of the SBD product. I bought mine in January and the rear fixing was pre-welded to the tailpipe in exactly the correct position and was ready to fit straight onto new collector and rear mounting. Just tighten clamp and do up nut.

To be fair to SBD, Karsten is (I think) trying to mate an SBD can to a non-SBD collector. I bought the entire BTB system from SBD and apart from having to alter the hole in the side panel it fitted absolutely perfectly.

Edited by - Steve Mell on 24 Jun 2002 16:29:36

Steve is correct, the 4-1 headers I have are not SBD parts.

But then, I doubt they'd be interested in making 4-1 headers & exhaust systems for BDx'ed Cat/Lotus 7s, would they ?

Either way: fitting, alu wrapping, stainless tubes, anyone ?

Cheers ! - Karsten

Steve,

SBD source the carbon section themselves and not via Joe Ellis at BTB.

BTB make the product to a price and it is not niceley finished like the H&S ones.

Suggest you measure the material thickness of an SBD can and also check to see if its foil lined??? Certainly those soild by SBD up to 12 months ago were of hopeless longevity.

As a comparison, the carbon casing on my exhaust has been on it since 1995. Point made??

I am not out to deliberately damage the reputation SBD have in the marketplace, although many on here are aware (as you have raised the matter) of the problems I had and why I am distrustful of their ability. I will however answer a direct question with a relevant, factual and accurate answer.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

Arn,

Haven't got my ruler with me, but I can confirm that the can is foil lined. I'm aware of the failures last year with some of the SBD cans but I belive that quality has now improved (eg foil lining) and I don't know about you but I haven't heard of any going bang in the last 3 or 4 months. Unleass of course you know different.

Out of interest, would the H&S tube fit the SBD endcaps?

Harry Flattersarrow.gif (formerly Steve Mell - PTM 88) id=green>

My BTB Carbon can has a very thin stainless sleeve inside the carbon. Two years of 9000+ revs in a crossflow carbed car so far and no sign of damage. Admittedly mine runs like a dream with little or no popping or backfiring, so my experience may not be relevant.

I've fitted a Raceco aluminium can - very light - much quieter and much prettier than the standard Caterham item - see add in latest LF or http://www.raceco.com/

These are made and distributed by Seven owners and mine was made using my old one as a template so it fitted perfectly straight out of the box.

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

_________

/ __ __ /

___ _//__T/__/_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ /o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) // /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Edited by - Alex Wong on 25 Jun 2002 18:02:46

Bought a SBD carbon can last winter and it covered until today Curborough (not so much stress though...smile.gif), 1 afternoon at Zolder-racetrack and a dozen trips blatting around the local mountains incl. loads of backfires, revs, doughnuts, 0-130s etc. and yet no sign of burn on the carbon sleeve, looks like new. Engine is 2 litre 16v on TB´s , 241BHP. I think the key to save the sleeve is repacking the can a regular basis.

I´d buy the system again ´cause I´m happy with it, even it´s not a bargain at all...

Marius

Blatman

I think you are mistaken. The SBD can EX-B-SB11 to suit the Caterham is listed at £330 + VAT. The Raceco item is currently on offer at £250.00+ VAT. That is £80+ VAT (£94.00) cheaper.

The "Caterham" effectquestion.gifblush.gifteeth.gif

The EX-B-CB1 box, from SBD's exhaust pages is £240. Is the Caterham suitable silencer totally different in it's design, or does it come with extras to make up the differencequestion.gif They look identical to me..........

Edit.........

OK so the Caterham one comes with fittings to suit the Caterham 7. £75 quids worth thoughconfused.gif Thats a lot for clamp and a reducer pipe..........

Edited by - Blatman on 27 Jun 2002 13:36:27

I think you are mistaken. The SBD can EX-B-SB11 to suit the Caterham is listed at £330 + VAT. The Raceco item is currently on offer at £250.00+ VAT. That is £80+ VAT (£94.00) cheaper.

The Raceco item looks better (IMHO) and being aluminium, doesn't burn or explode like some carbon cans, is just as light and has proved to be very good at keeping it's stuffing in. It's also very easy to keep it's matt aluminium finish looking good.

see http://www.slipstreamtrackdays.co.uk/racecocan.jpg

Edited by - Alex Wong on 28 Jun 2002 11:34:21

Edited by - Alex Wong on 28 Jun 2002 15:02:59