Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre temperatures - CR500

Stationary M25 Traveller

Hi SM25T

That sounds quite warm for a not very warm day.

I have not measured tyre temps in any scientific way, but warm to the touch is generally good. What type of termometer did you use?

An AVON Motorsport tyre engineer told me that the CR500 compound goes not really "get out of bed" at ambients less than 10 degC. Even worse when it's wet as the cold water keeps cooling the tyre.

Peter

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

I wouldn't have thought you'd get anywhere near sticky temperatures for cr500 on the road this time of year. It's tricky enough on a track. On a good warm trackday they can get damn near molten on the tyre surface and you can pull great chunks off...don't know what temp this is at though...... gonna find out this holiday once i've got my reversing gearbox back in and can hopefully go to mallory to watch the action on boxing day if i can get pass out from the commandant oops er wife.

I believe the best way to measure tyre temp is with a temperature probe which one sticks into the rubber to take the core temp of the compound. The reason for thsi is that the surface of the tyre can cool very quickly due to air circulation whereas the core temperature stays stable for a few minutes after driving dur to the rubber being a poor thermal conductor.

here

P

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Bought it for playing, not for work. Useful for water, oil temps on the cars, together with exhaust primaries, tyres, bearings, brakes, etc ... also setting up central heating radiators to achieve 11C loss from inlet to outlet, etc, etc .......

Only about £30-something I recall. Can buy it on line too.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 22 Dec 2008 17:17:19

Blimey Ian, setting up your house radiators with a laser thermometer *rolleyes* Me, I just use my hands & years of experience *smokin* Working in some of the very large houses in the Sevenoaks area, sometimes with more than 30 rads it's nigh on impossible to get them even, just do the best you can. Enjoyed the pictures of your "tinsel blat" yesterday *thumbup* Martin.

Thanks Boycie, will have to check that out. Seem to be running into lots of systems at the moment with sludge & circulation problems. Then I have to broach the subject of powerflushing & what it costs. *eek* That often goes down like a lead baloon. Hope your busy but not over Christmas. I've got just Christmas Day off ☹️