Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Sat Nav or Speed detector?

Sandy

Well, after years of blemish free driving I was gutted to get 2 NiPs in a week ☹️

So, I am going to have to invest in something that may help me avoid getting another

I was thinking of perhaps a Sat Nav with built in speed camera alert - I go to Europe once a year so the Sat Nav aspect would also come in handy

What can you guys recommend as there is alot of choice out there

Have also put a Wanted so if anyone has something surplus to sell then be interested to hear?

I used to have a Road Angel, but sold it when I bought my TomTom with camera locations. BIG mistake, the road angel was far better, as it described what type of camera to expect and also common locations where vans hide out.

David Smitheram, Wiltshire (South) AR, 07718 368173.

1400 supersport ex racer

To be honest, I started with a Talex unit (digital GPS speedo with camera warnings and camera speed advice), but once I bought a satnav (Garmin 250) for £90 from Halfords, I haven't needed the Talex since. The satnav does all the usual direction finding, including full street level mapping in Europe, and also camera notifications in the UK and Europe.

Won't detect hand-held laser guns (but that's illegal), but advises where vans may be parked up.

Great features for such a low price !

edit - two in a week !! That's not good news ☹️

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 19 Dec 2008 16:46:32

I used to have a Road Angel, but sold it when I bought my TomTom with camera locations. BIG mistake, the road angel was far better, as it described what type of camera to expect and also common locations where vans hide out.

I've only ever used the PocketGPSWorld camera database with my TomTom, and it does all of that - type of camera with speed limit and mobile locations. Highly configurable, though not trivial to get set up. Costs about £17 a year, I believe.

Snooper *thumbup* and does detect mobile laser style guns 😬 although it does not jam them as that is perv-erting the course of justice (a perversion of justice if I ever saw one) *wink*

here and a lot cheaper than I paid for it about 18 mths ago *mad*

Edited by - Billyboy on 20 Dec 2008 12:33:43