Click here if you are having website access problems ×

"Errr, should it be THAT hot?"

R500 CYA

Fab day had at Brands, screaming around in my Supersport on the Thursday.

Sudden jabbing in the ribs from my passenger and desperate, crazed pointing at the oil temperature gauge, which showed 110 degrees.

Water temp rock solid at 90 degrees and oil pressure normal. Car fitted with almost standard 1.6K, air/oil seperator and ali rad.

My mate's super sprint (albeit dry sumped) never peaked above 90 degrees oil temp, and now I wonder if I need an oil cooler.

Any thoughts out there?

Secondly, whoever owned ESU ..., please tell me it was more than just a supersport, as I spent lap after lap barely keeping up!! :D

Cheers!!!

From what I've heard, 110 degC shouldn't be a problem. Mine can get as hot as 125 degC on hard track driving so I guess I'll be needing an oil cooler but it regularly runs at 110 deg on normal road use. Apparently Comma say that their oils are ok up to 120 degC and probably more.

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

Don´t worry about 110°, you wouldn´t believe how many stock-factory-tintops reach these temperatures when pushing a little on the autobahns. My VR6 still feels comfortable when it reaches 118° and that´s NOT when used on a track, just low flying for a longer time on the autobahn. So don´t worry about that.

Cheers !

Please remember that all but the very best gauge's are probably wrong. You can easily test a gauge (water or oil). Put the sensor in a lightly boiling pan of water, don't let the sensor touch the sides or bottom. Your gauge should say bang on 100 degrees.

If you have to take the boiling water to the car, be quick. Boiling water cools very quickly.

If an un-tested gauge reads at all close to the max for your oil, do somthing about it, you could easily be cooking your engine, causing big problems for later.

Oil coolers are easy to fit and don't cost much (unlike engines), lots of new'ish cars have Oil coolers fitted so a quick trip to a breakers could get all you need for just a tenner.

I worried about this as well when I got the air/oil separator and suddenly knew what the oil temp was. Mine runs at the same temp as the water up to about 70mph sustained speed, then the oil gets hotter than the water up to around 115 at 85mph and 120 at the ton. At Curborough it went from 80 to 120 in the double lap run!

If you ask Comma, they say 120 is ok. The Mobil web page mentions up to 150 for Mobil 1, but I don't know haw reliable that is.

Good to know that my 1.6k Superlight is not the only car to suffer these problems.

Only query I have is that following the Brands track day my oil temp has regularly started reading +110 after a hard thrash when before it rarely moved from 85-90.

Also I now have an intermittent water temp problem, sometimes the gauge rises to the normal 80 and holds there except at standing idle, other times it reads 60 and doesn't move. The oil reading is still OK which suggests that it isn't the gauge that is broken.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Paul.

Excessive oil temperature with a k-series can be a symptom of over-filling with oil. It is down to crankshaft windage.

With an Apollo-tanked (not dry sump) k, it is a compromise between preventing oil surge and breaking down the oil with excessive temperature.

A good synthetic oil is safe to 130 degrees, but your seals may not like it. The Apollo tank is not able to prevent surge, so if you have topped up so much that you don't see the occasional surge then it means you are overfilled. The Apollo tank's job is to prevent damage when inevitable surge occurs.

IMO it does a good job.