Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's best for mirror sticking ?

Steve Campbell

Hi Steve,

Mine fell off too! Halfords have a pack of two super sticky mirror double sided tapes (it's in with all the quality blind spot and baby monitoring/ scaring mirrors).

Yours for £2.99, no glueing and you can take the mirror off if you don't like what you see! ;)

Nick

Hi Steve,

I wanted to alter the mirror anyway because being 6' 3" I sit fairly high in the car. I found that my vision (of the apex) on left handers was obscured so the only option was to stoop down or peer over the 'screen. What was req. was a less wide mirror. Our friends at Halfords do a small mirror that has a suction cup base that can be 'locked'in place but easily removed when required (but doesn't fall off!). It was also not as wide as the std. Caterham issue & therefore gave better forward vision too!!! I think they are normally for use as a secondary mirror to keep a eye on the kids in the back of tin tops. They are made by 'Stadium Products'.

Why bother with an internal mirror at all. The law does not require one and it gets in the way. I got rid of mine within the first couple of weeks of building the car as I couldn't see through any left hand corners.

I've tried the 'Halfords' mirror, but found the field of vision so smal taht it didn't add anything to safety.

Cheers

Graham

I tried the glue/pad combinations from Halfords (their own and Loctite) and they both fell off immediately. The sticky pads I got from Charlie Browns (in desperation) are excellent and lasted longer than the windscreen (although I did hit a tree). About 1GBP for a couple of pads, so you get a spare.

The standard mirror can be turned through 180 degrees to give a slightly higher position. When competing I also flip the mirror up out of the way and some guys turn them vertically.

Davebo

C7 CAR

I have used Halfords quick setting epoxy. It gives strong semi-permanent bond without being too strong ie if you really clout the mirror it still comes unglued. You need to clean off the old glue from the back off the mirror, and the glass, I find Hammerite thinners are good. Also be prepared to hold the mirror in place for about 5 mins.

Thanks for all the help.

I haven't yet got anything to stick it back on but might try a few weeks without one as Graham has suggested and see how I get on. I didn't know you don't legally need one.

I was sat in the car tonight trying to decide where I would position it (if I refit it) as I'm 6'1" and have difficulty seeing left hand apex's.

The best position seems to be in the middle about 3 inches above the base of the screen. In this position I can see over the hoodbag (& my shoulder) & I think the tonnau cover will fit OK. I couldn't be bothered to get the hood out. Will I be able to see backwards with the hood on ? Anyone got the mirror in this position ?

Cheers,

PS Keith .. If I set the mirror way over to the left my wife will keep adjusting it to see if her hair is TOTALLY messed up !!smile.gifwink.gif

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

Yup. One of the academy boys has a full rollcage and to get the best rear viwe without obscuring the front of the car he's placed his mirror off centre and a few inches above the scuttle. If anyone's remotely interested I'll take some footage this weekend and make it available somehwere.

Davebo

C7 CAR

I have had some success from re-siting the mirror onto the dashboard (carbon). It gets it a bit lower than the scuttle-top mounting and gives a better view underneath the FIA bar cross brace and an unrestricted view into left hand corners.

I had an experience a couple of years ago when I shared a VX race Caterham for a couple of days on a training course and I couldn't understand why one of my sessions had gone appallingly badly, until I realised that my co-driver had repositioned the mirror centrally rather than off to the left where I preferred it (it was on a swing arm arrangement). All the comments about putting the mirror off to the left seem to be good advice, although it doesn't help your rearward view when carrying a passenger.

The windscreen mirror may not be a legal requirement but I wouldnt recommend not having one, last time mine dropped off I did not see the motorcycle cop behind me as I razzed around the Cheshire lanes. He claimed that he had been trying to catch me for several miles and only managed that when I came to lights. That cost me a fixed penalty, he must have been in a good mood because he could have thrown the book at me. My mirror is now firmly stuck on with superglue!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I tried the Halford standard stickies.

Cleaned the back of the mirror & the windscreen thoroughly.

Heated the windscreen using the heater (& the sun !!)

Placed the sticky pad on the back of the mirror and heated it using the trusty gas rings in the kitchen.

It seems firmly STUCK thumbsup.gif! Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know if it falls off with time !!!

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR