Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Boot floor removeal

bobt

Hi,

I'm a little stumped by this. The actual task is to replace the rear fog and reverse light. To do this however you have to gain access to the bolts which are on the inside of the body which mean removing the tank - great! So, I've removed the twin strut rollover bar, filler pipe cover, detached filler neck from body, removed all screws from boot floor. The floor is now free to move around and I can lift it over the filler neck but cannot see how it actually comes out. No matter how I position it, the floor will not come out of the top of the boot hole. It always fouls the tube which goes around the top edge of the boot over which the body panels are rolled over. Howe the hell do you get it out?

Thanks

Rob

• Support Team

It is very fiddly to get the angle correct but it does come out the top. If you are really struggling then you could try jacking the rear of the car up and dropping the petrol tank instead(making sure you don't strain any of the connections). That should also give you enough room to rotate the boot floor into a suitable position to get it out.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Hi Rob

I guess you are one of the unlucky ones whose lights aren't held with rivnuts 😔

One of mine used bolts and t'other rivnuts *confused*

From memory it is possible to jiggle the boot floor just enough out the way to loosen the tank and slide a ratchet spanner down the gap to allow removal.

Then add rivnuts as what should be a 5 minute job takes up most of the day

Good luck

See you at Le Mans ? may go Newhaven- Dieppe next year

Martin

Thanks chaps, I'll give it another go. In my car (Superlight 2000) the filler tube comes through a closed hole in the boot floor. Has this been revised in later cars to an open hole (ie floor does not continue round the back of the filler tube) so you don't have to lift the floor over the filler next first. This is what is causing the problem as you have to lift it over that first and then there is limited room to maneuver further as you can't lower that edge.

Grrrr off to get cold again..

Rob

Well its out *smile* certainly took a lot of jiggling then it was suddenly free. Was at the expense of a few scratches to the inside of the rolled boot edge tho as it was such a tight fit. Will certainly be modifying the floor filler neck hole. Removing the tank harness and shifting the tank forward against the diff then gave enough clearance to remove the lights. Rivnuts will be fitted!

Thankyou everyone for your help and suggestions.

Rob

Don't quite understand why CC felt so obligated to keep the bit of floor that rings the filler neck. *confused* Haven't had to take my floor out but must believe that without it the job would be a snap. If I must ever do it I'll probably Dremel it out in place and clean the mess up once out of the car.

For future reference anyone think this unwise???

BASIC TECH INFO: 2004/7,777mile Cat w/Zetec SVT, widetrack, DeDion, 5 spd/3.62, 15-CR500's