Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear camber and toe settings

Pendennis

Don't know why other thread got closed *confused*

I have inherited three sets of ears. One set is 0.25, another are still on the car but the other are not, however these are not marked. How would I know what they are?

I have a set of callipers, thus measured the 'topic' set of ears:

Bottom back = 28mm

Bottom front = 27m

Top back = 25.4mm

Top front (ish) = 25.1mm

What are they?

I intend to use Crossply slicks and want to set rear static camber at 0.5 degree negative with approximately 0.3 degree toe in. Car has widetrack. I shall obviously measure when assembled, but could anyone recommend what ear is a good base to start with *confused* *wink* *wavey* 😶‍🌫️

18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset to let

Because you want the rear to follow the front and not over power it. Let the front only steer the car and not encourage anymore understeer than it already has. If the front width is same as rear, then ok go parellel, but it isn't so there should be adjustments accordingly. There won't be a rule for car 1 that should apply to car 2, but rough rules would apply.

Edited by - Pendennis on 11 Dec 2008 19:42:11

Rob, that does not confuse me at all, thats exactly what I'd expect to see.

Suppose, tubes are probably cheaper to fabricate this way also shimming allows fining tuning *wink*

So what ear have I got, I'm new to these 😳

actually your both wrong 😬

arch work to a tolerance for the alignment of the de dion. This could result in varying toe in and out on the same dedion.

simply measure the lengths at either end of the dedion metal ear sections and you may see that there can be a variance on what should be a parallel tube *smile*

I'm having some shims made to align my new tube *smile*

Pen - you are clearly convinced that toe in is correct and that is what you are going to use. Thats fine 😶‍🌫️, but do at least consider the options from others that either setup race cars or have tried other options (against the clock) themselves *wink*- they may just have a point *tongue*

my new tube will run with .....with a smidge of toe out *smile*

Taffia rear gunner

Edited by - Dave J on 12 Dec 2008 08:29:13

Dave J, I would be surprised if a de dion is spot on at either end and that is why I state shim and adjust to get to your specification.

I actually set up race cars (mine) have done for years and know that for me toe in works against the clock. Dave, I only ever test against the clock *wink* I also know that for me the amount of toe in varies, depending on front track width. My tests show that if a front is as wide as the rear, it won't be required. As I said, there wont be a rule for 1 car that should apply to car 2 *wink* Altering toe on the rear alters the level of grip and I might find on this new car I now have, the level of oversteer requires significant changes that I am not used to, but as a start I shall be setting toe in. 😬

Good luck with yours *thumbup*

Edited by - Pendennis on 12 Dec 2008 09:46:51

Not just about following (or perhaps it is)... rear toe in give stability. Both under braking and power on.

I raced against a Westie that 1st season was always spinning - driver I thought. Then he got the car set up with rear tow in. Low and behold he had a car he could handle and did pretty well after that.

Add lightness, says the man with a VX :-)

My 2002/2003 racing pics

here

General pics (mostly of 7's and cars).

here