Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Warming Up

Stuart McGill

As the 7 is my only car it is used in all weathers etc, however cold, wet etc.

Std 1.6 K with apollo so 6.5 litres of oil (5w 50) to get some temperature into.

I always try and warm it up before getting the revs up but this takes a long long time in this weather. As I live close to the motorway am I doing harm by sitting at say 4,000 RPM within 5 or 10 minutes of setting off? If so what should I keep the revs below until there is some temperature in the oil?

Just a bit paranoid about the inevitable happening by not letting it warm up fully!

Stuart

• Leadership Team

Stuart - a big problem with the Apollo is that it acts as an oil cooler, mainly because of it being exposed to a draught of cooler air during the colder months. It may be worth trying some insulation around it? Also it has been known for some people to blank off some of the air entering through the nose cone grill during the winter, allowing the coolant to warm up quicker.

Stu.

• Support Team

You could fit a Laminova oil/water heat exchanger. This will help to warm the oil more quickly (and act as an oil cooler in the summer months).

IMO cruising at motorway speed puts little strain on the engine so it is unlikely to be a problem.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Yes, thermostat fitted and working. Water temp gets up okay but as you say its the apollo thats causing the oil to take forever and it juist becomes a bit frustrating not wanting to psuh it too early on!

Suggestions for apollo insulation bearing in mind how close it is to the alternator belt *eek*?

My dry sump tank site in front of my engine so i've same problem I have it double wrapped in a insulating blanket Foil backed [from demon thieves] also a laminova and in cold weather have over 1/2 rad blanked off with card.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

240BHP 1900cc K Series 40th Anniversary

Cheat by preheating the oil? I have a 120W heater pad on my dry sump tank so 20 minutes or so makes a good difference. No idea if oil is retained in that Apollo thingy. I put it on for exactly the reason you mention - it takes ages to warm the oil on the road vs a few of laps on track.