Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CYCLE WINGS

DAX MAN

I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A 96N VAUXHALL 16V CATERHAM WITH LONG WINGS. I WISH TO CHANGE THESE TO CYCLE WINGS. WHATS INVOLVED AND WHAT WILL IT COST ME. ALSO WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THE HOLES IN THE SIDE PANELS.

I ALSO NEED A LSD FOR THE SAME VEHICLE ANY IDEAS.

I'M NEW TO THIS SO PLEASE HELP.

IAN

Ian

I've converted mine , so has a mate , you would never know they've been flaired wings .

The greatest expense is the fillig and spraying the holes in and may be the steering rack (you will probably have to change it as you really need lock stops so as the cycle wings don't hit the body. Also go to the 7 gallery site (the constructor of the site has converted his , pics to see) which I can vouch for as a super job. The work was carried out by CAM Panel Works from POOLE DORSET, ask for CLIVE .

CHRIS

REAL SEVENS HAVE IRON B'LOCKS

Ian

The wings are £32 each, Wing stays £42.50 each, Headlamp brackets £20 each, all plus vat and postage which is about a tenner.I love them now there on.

If you go back 10 days I posted a queerie on quick rack steering and cycle wings that you may glean a little info on. I found no problems fitting both of these and the cost from Caterham for Wings related brackets 22% q/r upper column and momo removable (which you don't have to have) was £723. Setting the toe in is a garage job - Caterham quote 20 minuets toe in plus or minus 10 minuets

The holes left from the clamshells come free!

Hope that helps a little.

Regards

Tom

PS

If you do get a steering rack Caterham quote £166 + vat.

You might consider The quick rack systems, which come in 8% and 22%. I've just fitted the 22%.. Some don't like them as they say it makes the steering heavy but this is only at parking etc. I personally don't find it a problem and as for blatting about it's excellent.

And thanks to all those who replied and helped with my questions on this subject.

Cheers

Tom

Ian

I'm not sure about the 8%, but on mine lock to lock is just less than one full turn on the steering wheel (approx 7/8).

Having a Momo already will save you about £215 + the vat as the upper column is £120 and the wheel is £95.

Did you find the string I mentioned?

Tom

TOM

MY RACK IS JUST OVER 2 TURNS LOCK TO LOCK. WILL THIS BE OK TO FIT THE CYCLE WINGS ONTO.

YES I DID GET YOUR EARLIER POSTING IT WAS A GREAT HELP.

IAN

P.S. NEED A LSD IF YOU KNOW ANYONE WITH ONE GOING SPARE.

Ian

I'm no expert but, it sounds like you have the normal rack and I believe that this will cause the cycle wings to make contact with the body panels unless lock stops are used. This is why Caterham recommend a new rack when fitting cycle wings. It might be worth calling Caterham on 01322 625810 (parts dept)and checking with them if lock stops can be used with your existing rack.

Can't help with the LSD - would'nt mind one myself for my 1990 live axle Xflow.

Good luck

Tom

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLY'S, ESPECIALY TOM.

I'VE TAKEN THE PLUNGE AND ORDERED THE CYCLE WINGS AND THE LSD (£560+VAT) FROM CATERHAM. (THEY THINK DUE TO MY CARS AGE IT SHOULD HAVE THE CORRECT RACK)

IT SHOULD NOW NOT JUST LOOK BETTER BUT ACTUALLY GO BETTER.

MANY THANKS ONCE AGAIN

IAN

Not wanting to shoot myself in the foot or anything (I've cycle wings myself), But.......

Has anyone else noticed that the wing stays are really heavy? Add on the wing+silkaflex and thats a fair old bit extra unsprung weight. Does it effectively make our cars handle worse? Just a thought.