Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which HT leads

Adrian Williams

I occasionaly get a slight misfire over 8K on my K series R500 and don't like the idea of that old fasioned distributor wizzing round trying to keep up.

I'm going to go wasted spark over the winter and fit a coil pack. At the same time I was going to treat the engine to a nice set of HT leads.

Should I buy a set from Magnacor, Silicone Blue or a.n.other 🤔

Adrian

There is no evidence that standard leads are worse than Mega expensive 8mm or 10 or 12mm for standard applications.

It is your choice if you want your engine bay to be in blue or red. *confused*

If you have a missfire then a standard new set of leads will do. *thumbup*

• Support Team

Adrian - I've just switched from Magnecor to a set of Halfords own brand due to the misfires I was getting at Aintree. Part of the problem for me is having a VVC head with distributor (EU2) ignition - the standard K-series Magnecor leads don't fit well as the VVC head is taller than a standard K16. I doubt you will have the same problem but it has put me off using Magnecor.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

I'm with Shaun on this one.

My troubles at the start of the year I can only deduce were as a result of poorly fitting Magnecor leads. Not questioning the quality of the lead but the fit to the plug was certainly poor on my set.

Once they slipped over the plug you could feel play in the connection. I made the metal tighter but as it slipped over the plug instead of springing over it just opened up and stayed loose again.

I think this may have contributed to the coil failure.

Reverted back to rover leads. No problem.

Management Team Member

The stock graphite leads are rubbish in comparison

Certainly not in price?

If standard leads are so bad then why do they fit them?

I have never had a problem with standard leads and i am sure that others have not?

Care to explain your reasoning why? *thumbup*

The stock leads are made to a price and have a graphite core, this can break down with vibration and movement. The graphite cores resistance acts as a current limiter to reduce the energy transmitted through to the spark plug and hence gives supression. The Magnecor lead has a solid centre core this is then insulated then counter wrapped with a coil of wire as a screen to provide the supression, as a result more energy can get to the spark plug and there is less electromagnetic radiation that can corrupt the ECU and sensors. It is escential to use resistive spark plugs with the magnecor leads.

try getting a tacho pulse reading off a Mangecor lead its impossible as the leakage is too small.