Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1971 Hornet wooden racing dinghy - project

techbod

This boat is a project rather than ready to sail. The hull seems to be watertight, but the deck really needs removing and as the entire area (deck not hull) round the mast foot needs replacing as well as a couple of other areas needing attention. The deck needs sanding and re-varnishing as well. In other words it needs a fair amount of work. If anyone is interested, I can provide pictures as this is probably the best way to asses what needs doing.

Boat comes with sails, mast, centreboard, rudder, and the combination launching and towing trailer.

If possible would prefer it to go to someone that is prepared to do the work rather than break it for bits.

price is £FREE

(or if you feel so inclined swap for 7 bits: sill protectors or any parts useful towards building megajolt 3d system)

Ye gods. The Hornet was THE performance racing dinghy that we all aspired to crew in in the late 60's in Plymouth Sound. It was the sliding seat everyone wanted to be seen on! Unfortunately they wouldn't let me crew in anger, as in those days I was a puny 8 1/2 st. ; but I got to helm!

It didn't look the same when they allowed trapezes!

My old man just may have (Well he has actually) a replacement mast and rig hanging around in his garage. There may also be a slightly bent mast also that could possibly be fixed. There is also a rudder etc.

I'm sure for a small donation I can eventually persuade him that the mast is useless without the boat *confused*

Its been in the garage for 35yrs. 😔

Management Team Member