Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wing Stay / Chassis

Violet Elizabeth

My wing stay mounting has detatched itself from the chassis, leaving a flapping wing and a hole in the cross member.

Doesn't look like corrosiion as the edges seem bright. Although there is some light corrosion inside the tube, so I think a bit of waxoyl needed !

Can I "just" get this welded back together, or is some more serious surgery recommended as chassis now has hole in it ?

Thoughts much appreciated as track day looms.

Thanks.

Just get it rebrazed.

Clamshell wings right ? I had those and ripped both mountings out of the chassis (on a few occasions) over a 10 year period. Cycle wings have (so far) cured the problem (less weight).

Edited by - ecr on 23 Jun 2002 19:43:01

I had this problem too, Noger, back in my flared wing days. In addition to the general strain on the stays, the original type of metal-plate indicator bracket hit the anti-roll bar once in a while (at the 'ball end', cutting the rubber boot) at the extreme of roll - which can't have helped.

I think one thing you (or 'they') have to be careful of is damaging the alu skin when brazing. It was suggested in my case that a little local de-skinned might be needed (to slip a heat-proof mat in, I suppose) - I guess it depends how big the hole is.

Redline sorted mine out - can't remember if they needed to do that or not.