Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

A Frame Removal

Stuart McGill

I've search through previous threads but don't seem to be able to find the answer so....

How do I remove the rear a frame on my 2004 (53 plate) ex Academy with dedion.

I was planning on:

Jacking up and axle stands on chassis

Wheels off

Then do I just unbolt it? If so is there anything to watch for? I have removed one of the side bolts once before to take off the side impact protection which was fine...

I just can't seem to get my head around if it could be tricky to put back together etc and where any pressure is on at the moment!

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Jack the car up under the middle of the de dion tube where the A frame attaches, and pop the axle stands under the de dion tube either side (assuming you're leaving trailing arms on) - reason for this later!

Undo the bolts either side, remembering how many washers and what went where. Zip tie the washers to the hole so you don't lose them. Then undo the rear one, this takes two sockets, one deep one will be needed.

Then do what you need to do and refit it. Make sure the washers go back where they were, and because the axle stands are under the axle, the suspension is already preloaded so you can torque up the bolts straight away(settings in the manual from CC's website, can't remember off hand), and plonk her back on the ground.

The only thing you need to worry about is getting the A frame central, but this should already be right. Job done! *thumbup*

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Gearbox imploded )

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Tarnishing nicely ☹️)

I think I too would stick the chassis on the stands and leave the tube hanging.

Stands under the tube means when you remove the A-frame bolts, you are relying on the shocks to stop the tube moving forwards/backwards, pivoting around the radius arms. Depending on the state of the shock bushes, the bolts or the attachment to the tube, that movement could be non-existant, or enough for it roll off the stands and onto anything under the car . . which could be you.

Plus if it does move, you've got to pull the whole car around to re-locate the bolts on assembly.

Tube hanging will be easy to move around to relocate the bolts on re-assembly, and car back on the ground will be more secure for leaning on a torque wrench when re-tightening the bolts.

Bri

If you try to torque everything up with the wheels on the ground you won't be able to get underneath to do the A frame to De-Dion tube fixtures. *confused*

So the consensus is axel stands under the chassis to remove & re-install. Axel stands under tube to torque up fixings. *thumbup*

Edited by - Mick Day on 5 Dec 2008 20:13:28

• 3 weeks later...